So how does O’Reilly feel about the assassination of George Tiller?
Faux News bully Bill O’Reilly has spent multiple segments of his show — 29 segments to be exact — portraying Dr. George TIller as a bloodthirsty savage. The doctor, who was murdered in his church on Sunday, has been vilified by O’Reilly. Do you think he feels any level of accountability for stirring up the fringe anti-choice womb controllers out there? Clips of his demonization are seen in the following DKos video, along with this excerpt of an article on this from Salon
Tiller’s name first appeared on “The Factor” on Feb. 25, 2005. Since then, O’Reilly and his guest hosts have brought up the doctor on 28 more episodes, including as recently as April 27 of this year. Almost invariably, Tiller is described as “Tiller the Baby Killer.”
Tiller, O’Reilly likes to say, “destroys fetuses for just about any reason right up until the birth date for $5,000.” He’s guilty of “Nazi stuff,” said O’Reilly on June 8, 2005; a moral equivalent to NAMBLA and al-Qaida, he suggested on March 15, 2006. “This is the kind of stuff happened in Mao’s China, Hitler’s Germany, Stalin’s Soviet Union,” said O’Reilly on Nov. 9, 2006.
O’Reilly has also frequently linked Tiller to his longtime obsession, child molestation and rape. Because a young teenager who received an abortion from Tiller could, by definition, have been a victim of statutory rape, O’Reilly frequently suggested that the clinic was covering up for child rapists (rather than teenage boyfriends) by refusing to release records on the abortions performed.
This characterization of Tiller fits exactly into ancient conservative, paranoid stories: a decadent, permissive and callous elite tolerates moral monstrosities that every common-sense citizen just knows to be awful. Conspiring against our folk wisdom, O’Reilly says, the sophisticates have shielded Tiller from the appropriate, legal consequences for his deeds. It’s left to “judgment day” to give him what’s coming.
O’Reilly didn’t tell anyone to do anything violent, but he did put Tiller in the public eye, and help make him the focus of a movement with a history of violence against exactly these kinds of targets (including Tiller himself, who had already been shot). In those circumstances, flinging around words like “blood on their hands,” “pardon,” “country club” and “judgment day” was sensationally irresponsible.
All the wingers are trying to run from this incident of eliminationist behavior because they know they own this, just like they own the McCain/Palin mobs that gleefully unleashed their hate before the cameras. No, this assassination of George Tiller is on your hands.
More below the fold.
I would love to hear people's thoughts on how we can mobilize to (non-violently) fight back. How can we turn this terrible tragedy into an opportunity to strengthen the pro-choice movement?
It's hard to know how to respond to something like this with more than just sadness and anger. A few suggestions on what to do with that energy:
Attend a memorial vigil for Dr. Tiller.
- Wichita, KS: Meet on Sunday at 8pm in Old Town Square.
- Lawrence, KS: Meet on Sunday night at 8pm, South Park Gazeb
- Washington, D.C.: Meet at the fountain at Dupont Circle at 9pm Sunday. Also at 6:30pm on Monday at the White House.
- Boston, MA: Meet at 6pm on Monday, June 1 at St. Paul's Episcopal Cathedral.
- Seattle: Candlelight vigil in Seattle on Monday, 6pm. Details TBA. (Follow @ProChoiceWA on Twitter for details.)
- Portland, OR: Meet at Pioneer Courthouse Square on Monday at 8:00pm
- Ottawa, ON: Meet at 8:00pm on Tuesday, June 2 at the Human Rights Monument @ Elgin & Lisgar
- Kansas City, MO:Meet on Monday, June 1 at 8pm at the JC Nichols Fountain (near the Plaza).
If your city/town isn't listed, plan a vigil yourself!
Donate to a pro-choice organization.
Discuss how this is connected to the daily intimidation of abortion providers all over the country.
- Write letters to your local media when you see this framed as an isolated incident, or as the act of just one extremist. Explain how this is connected to the broader issue of threats and intimidation against women's health care providers.
- Encourage your friends and family members who aren't pro-choice to reject groups that endorse or support extremist behavior.
Thank an abortion provider!
People who work and volunteer in reproductive health clinics (both those that provide abortions and those that don't) risk their lives every day to ensure women's health and freedoms are protected. They also deal with a lot of harassment and crap that might not be physically dangerous, but is a huge mental burden and daily stress. Let's use this as an opportunity to recognize their commitment, and say THANK YOU!
There’s also some good reading here by Andrew Belonsky — Pro-Life Feminism Births a Great – and Inexhaustible – Debate: The rise of ‘pro-life feminism’ raises endless questions on the real meaning of the F word. I wonder how that crowd is taking this news about Dr. Tiller? Also, check out Greg Sargent’s: “Time To Revisit Criticism Of DHS Report On “Right Wing Extremists.”