Black kids booted from Philly club’s ‘whites-only’ pool
Welcome to post-racial America, where people have their heads in the sand about the state of race relations in this country because a black man was elected POTUS.
The staff at the Valley Swim Club in NE Philly must have stepped into the DeLorean and took a spin back into the days of segregation, as 60 kids were turned away from the pool there and apparently the people at the Swim Club didn't mind their inner bigot surface for all to see. (NBC Philly):
"I heard this lady, she was like, 'Uh, what are all these black kids doing here?' She's like, 'I'm scared they might do something to my child,'" said camper Dymire Baylor.
The Creative Steps Day Camp paid more than $1900 to The Valley Swim Club. The Valley Swim Club is a private club that advertises open membership. But the campers' first visit to the pool suggested otherwise.
"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."
…"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.
Excuse me, what year is this? Am I watching a rerun of a scene in Far From Heaven (2002)? There was a scene in the Todd Haynes film, set in the 1950s, where a black boy, the son of service worker at a Miami hotel, dares to step into the hotel pool. His father rushes and pulls him out, but it’s too late — the white people in the pool race to get out of the “contaminated” water. Apparently that’s the kind of “change they can believe in” at The Valley Swim Club.
Contact information for the club is here. This is so outrageous that I’m almost unable to type.
I don’t see anything on the membership app asking about race, so when do they determine you can’t join — when you show up? Check out the club’s rules of operations below the fold. I don’t see anything here about no Negroes.
The Valley Club
2009 Rules of Operation
(7) Only one person allowed on the diving board at a time.
(8) No glass of any kind is allowed on the club grounds.
(9) Floating devices not secured to the swimmer are prohibited except at specific times.
(10) Swimming under the diving board is strictly forbidden.
(11) The pool apron must be kept free of blankets, towels, clothing, chairs, strollers, etc…
(12) The baby pool and nearby play area are for children under 7 years of age.
(13) Baby swim diapers must be worn in the baby pool.
(14) Children not toilet trained may not use the large pool.
(15) No guard is on duty for the baby pool. Parents are responsible.
(16) Smoking, eating, drinking, and gum chewing is not permitted on the pool apron or in the pool. Smoking is permitted in designated areas only.
(17) Each member is responsible for keeping the grounds clean.
(18) Please do not attempt to intimidate the pool employees in the performance of their duties.
(19) Pool managers and lifeguards are responsible for enforcing the above rules and regulations.
(1) Types of Membership: FULL-SEASON=entitles members to access club every day we are open. WEEKENDS=entitles members to access club on Fri, Saturdays,& Sundays WEEKDAYS=entitles members to access club Mondays thru Thursdays
ALL WELCOME ON HOLIDAYS!
(2) Membership cards must be presented upon request to obtain entrance to the club. Please be prepared to show a driver’s license with your membership card.
(3) Pets are not permitted on club grounds
(4) Persons under the influence of intoxicants will be denied admission to the club.
(5) Possession and/or the use of alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited. The club is not responsible for the loss or damage to personal property.
(6) Any member (or guest) deliberately destroying or damaging pool property will be subject to financial reimbursement for the damages and disciplinary action in violating the by-laws.
(7) Loading and unloading of vehicles will be permitted at the upper level, but all members and guest vehicles must be returned to the paved parking lot located at the club entrance.
(8) Picnic tables must not be placed anywhere other than the picnic area, nor may they be reserved. A limited number of picnic tables may be reserved by the Club Manager for pre-registered member parties during the week.
(9) Cooking must be confined to the areas designated for this purpose.
(10) Tables on the patio next to the snack bar are to be used only for eating food purchased at the snack bar.
(11) Water Volleyball Schedule
2:00 to 2:30 pm and 4:00 to 4:30 pm
(12) Adult Lap Swim Schedule
11:30 am to 12:30 pm; 2:30 to 2:50 pm; 4:30 to 4:50 pm; 5:30 to 6:00 pm
(13) The shallow end of the pool will remain open to the full membership during these lap swims.
(1) The gate to the pool will be open from 11:30 am until 8:30 pm, weather permitting.
(2) If there is inclement weather forecast for the day, please call the club answering machine to find out if the club is open or not.
(3) During Our Swim Lessons (Mondays thru Thursdays), the shallow end of the pool will open at 12:30 pm to accommodate swim lessons.
These rules are for the benefit of all club members and must be obeyed at all times. Members are responsible for their children and guests, in compliance with club rules. It is the responsibility of each member to inform guest of pool rules. Infractions may result in temporary loss of club privileges or loss of membership. Please help by respecting and obeying the rules. Situations arising that are not specifically covered by the established rules will be resolved by the manager or the Board of Directors at anytime.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
(1) All members use the club facilities at their own risk.
(2) Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied at all times by an adult member (17 years or older).
(3) All children under the age of 13 must pass a swimming test to be permitted in the deep end without an adult.
(4) Use of the pool will be refused to anyone wearing bandages or having skin abrasions, colds, coughs, inflamed eyes, skin infections, etc…
(5) All bathers must shower before entering the pool.
(6) Running is not permitted on the pool apron.
(1) All guests must be accompanied by the sponsoring member upon entering the club grounds. Members must remain with their guests. You may not bring guests into the club and leave the grounds.
(2)The club strongly urges the use of pre-paid guest cards. These cards may be purchased pre-season with dues. They may also be purchased through the pool manager.
(3) Guest Rates:
Children (under 17) $5.00
Guest Rates After 6:00 pm
Adults $5.00 Children (under 17) $2.00
(4) We invite you to have your family birthday or other parties at our club (including summer company picnic). Our Party Rate for 2009 Members will be $7 per person. For non-members it is $10 per person. For parties, our grounds are open to members and non-members, alike. Parties must pre-register with the pool manager to reserve enough tables/space.
Join Our Swim and Dive Teams: TheValleyClub.com
More at J&J Politics. Here’s a great video: