Friday Genius Ten “Yeah, I Will Immediately Think Of 15 More” Edition
Jim and Greg on Sound Opinions put together their mixtapes of their favorite songs of the “aughts”, and while I thought a lot choices were perfect—Flaming Lips, Outkast, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD Soundsystem—there was one band I can’t believe they completely forgot (while putting on The Strokes, no less! A travesty!). So here’s this week’s Genius Ten, an attempt to rectify this grave injustice.
Original song: “The Laws Have Changed” by the New Pornographers
1) “Ooh La La”—Small Faces
2) “Thirteen”—Big Star
3) “Sick of Myself”—Matthew Sweet
4) “Village Green Presevation Society”—The Kinks (I can’t hear this song without thinking of Hot Fuzz anymore. I don’t know how I feel about this.)
5) “You’re Gonna Miss Me”—The 13th Floor Elevators
6) “Who Taught You To Live Like That”—Sloan
7) “She’s Not There”—The Zombies
9) “Go With The Flow”—The Queens Of The Stone Age
10) “Your Favorite Thing”—Sugar
Below, I nominate some favorite songs from the past decade, though god knows I’ll probably be just as bad as Jim and Greg in forgetting some really obvious ones. Leave your suggestions for songs and/or bands of the aughts below.
And what the hell, there will be some cat pics, too.
Clearly, it’s 8:30 in the morning, and I’m in a mood to party or something. Here’s some cats.
Dusty got into the tub and it was really cute. And really weird, because I had just gotten out of the shower, and so she was flopping around in water. Swear to god, she was soaked, something she usually hates. I will never understand cats.
Since we’ve moved, Molly has taken to sleeping on our pillows. And being arrogant about it. Very odd.