Friday Genius Ten “Bears!” Edition
When I got up this morning and thought about “mama grizzlies”, suddenly something occurred to me that explains the whole thing: As usual, Republicans are just trying to grab onto something in pop culture in a pathetic bid for relevance. Just like Michael Steele grabbed for hip hop, John McCain is tweeting at the cast members of “Jersey Shore”, and this atrocity happened, well perhaps Sarah Palin is trying to pick up on the “bear” trend. What bear trend? Well, a couple of years ago there was a sudden trend of band names featuring the word “bear”: Panda Bear, Minus the Bear, Angry vs. the Bear. Perhaps Sarah Palin heard about this trend from Meghan McCain, and in classic GOP fashion, decided to poach it without understanding it in the slightest.
Hey, it’s a theory. Also an excuse to use on of my favorite “bear” songs for the Genius Ten today. Leave yours in comments, or consider the comments and open thread to talk about whatever you like. Happy Friday!
Original song: “While You Wait For The Others” by Grizzly Bear (See? Grizzlies. Though I don’t imagine that Sarah Palin would approve of how they got the name, which is from Edward Droste’s old boyfriend’s nickname.)
1) “Stillness Is The Move” by the Dirty Projectors
2) “Golden Age” by TV on the Radio
3) “Crystalised” by XX
4) “Postcards From Italy” by Beirut
5) “To Kingdom Come” by Passion Pit
6) “All My Friends” by LCD Soundsystem
7) “Neighborhood #1” by Arcade Fire
8) “Dull Life” by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs
9) “Never Had Nobody Like You” by M. Ward
10) “Hearts On Fire” by Cut Copy
Videos below the fold.