Friday Genius Ten “Science! Sure!” Edition
This is the sort of news item that everyone passes along because it seems like a little bit of justice in the world: “Fat Men Are Better In Bed“. So much so that I hate to piss on everyone’s parade, but I’m just skeptical. Two things about it: 1) The definition of “better” everyone is working with is “lasts longer”—a little less than minutes longer on average, bringing them to a whole 7.3 minutes over leaner men’s 1.8 minutes and 2) the researchers (or at least the reporting on it) blames hormones without qualification. Let’s take these one at a time.
1) Judging a man’s quality as a lover by how long he can thrust during intercourse without ejaculating is so patriarchal that anyone who buys it steps right out of Andrea Dworkin’s worst imagination. It turns sex into an endurance test and presumes that the pleasure of a partner (presumed female always in this standard) only counts under very narrow, impossible for many circumstances: orgasming during intercourse. And not only that, but that sex is a race to see if she can muster an orgasm before he gives in. Which isn’t to say that intercourse isn’t fun and shouldn’t last as long as you want it to, but to suggest that length of it is the measure of a man’s performance, instead of courtesy in bed, oral sex skills, being GGG, whatever? I call bullshit.
2) Suggesting that it absolutely is a result of heightened levels of estrogen seems iffy to me, too. It’s true that body fat produces estrogen—it’s probably the major reason puberty levels for girls have been falling for decades now—but I’m wary of any published study that reduces all sexual behavior to hormones and doesn’t take into consideration what’s going on in your head. It’s hard to tell from the reports on this study, but did they control for age, for instance? People gain weight as they age on average. They also gain experience and calm down about sex, which would lead many men to last longer during intercourse. They may be more likely to be in long term relationships and don’t have as many encounters where they’re overly excited. Who knows? They’re fatter, it must be their hormones, end of story? I don’t buy it. What initially seems to be good news for larger men is, upon closer examination, just another story reducing people to their weight and hormones and ignoring their minds and life experiences.
Anyway, consider this a thread to comment on this study, or whatever you like–open thread. Today’s Genius Ten will be kicked off a Brazilian Girls song on the topic of making an effort in bed, complete with costumes that show that there’s more out there in the world of goofy than Lady Gaga. Leave yours in comments!
Original song: “Lazy Lover” by the Brazilian Girls
1) “Dirty Laundry” by Bitter:Sweet
2) “Hairy Trees” by Goldfrapp
3) “Too Drunk To Fuck” by Nouvelle Vague (cover of the Dead Kennedys)
4) “Destroy Everything You Touch” by Ladytron
5) “Heartbeats” by The Knife
6) “AA XXX” by Peaches
7) “Black Milk” by Massive Attack
8) “Mi Confesion” by Gotan Project
9) “Shaolin Satellite” by Thievery Corporation
10) “Tristesse/Joie” by Yelle
Videos below the fold!