Hillary Clinton: I will never run again for elective office
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared Sunday that she has no intention of running for public office ever again.
The 63-year-old former senator from New York made the comments in an interview on “Fox News Sunday.” Video of her remarks follows below.
“I am very happy doing what I’m doing and I am not in any way interested in or pursuing anything in elective office,” the onetime first lady said.
“I love what I’m doing. I can’t tell you what it’s like, Chris, to everyday get to represent the United States,” she said. “That’s why I feel so strongly about every issue, from START to Afghanistan.” (START is a nuclear arms treaty that is facing an uphill battle in the Senate, where she previously served before a failed presidential campaign in 2008.)
“I’ve said it over and over again,” she added. “And I’m happy to say it on your show as well. I am committed to doing what I can to advance the security, the interests and values of the United States of America. I believe what I’m doing right now is in furtherance of that. And I’m very proud and grateful to be doing it.”
“Clinton’s political aspirations have been a frequent topic of speculation since she lost the Democratic presidential nomination to President Barack Obama in 2008 and then agreed to become his secretary of state,” Bloomberg News adds.
“As recently as last month, Clinton dismissed speculation prompted by a book written by journalist Bob Woodward that she would replace Vice President Joe Biden on the Democratic ticket with Obama in 2012.”
“I have absolutely no interest and reason for doing anything other than just dismissing these stories and moving on,” she said at the time.