Sony says reboot of PSN not happening until May 31 or later
In the wake of one of the most significant thefts of data in history, electronics manufacturer Sony has been scrambling to get their online services back up, vowing that it would take place this week — but now users will have to wait just a little bit longer.
That’s because as the company continues to learn how truly massive the breach was — with the latest estimates suggesting that over 100 million user accounts were affected, the need to build stronger security grows with it.
It’s unclear how much information was culled from these accounts, or if credit cards were among that data, but the company have promised to provide identity theft insurance to its customers.
The investigation into how this hack occurred was ongoing, but some security experts have criticized the Japanese electronics giant for keeping valuable information on servers with outdated software.
In a statement published online, the firm promised that PSN, Sony Online Entertainment and the Qriocity service would remain offline for as long as it takes to ensure that customer data will be secure.
While Sony told Bloomberg that it is “unsure” when that may be — a reboot had been planned for approximately one week after the services went down on April 20. The firm was reportedly aiming to relaunch on May 31.
“We know many of you are wanting to play games online, chat with your friends and enjoy all of the services PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer, and trust me when I say we’re doing everything we can to make it happen,” Sony Computer Entertainment Europe communications director Nick Caplin wrote on the official PlayStation blog.