Cain tells staff he’s reconsidering candidacy
On a conference call Tuesday morning, motivational speaker and former businessman Herman Cain told senior campaign staff that he is considering dropping out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination, according to published reports.
During the call, he denied a claim that he carried on a 13-year affair with Atlanta businesswoman Ginger White, and admitted that the latest allegation had taken a toll on his family. White alleged just this week that they had a relationship, which ended just before Cain announced his candidacy. She offered her cell phone bills as proof, and said he’d been trying to help her financially in recent months.
Cain spokesman J.D. Gordon explained to The Washington Post that the admission was indicative of “a re-assessment of where we stand and the road ahead, similar to other times in the campaign’s history.”
“We have to do an assessment as to whether or not this is going to create too much of a cloud, in some people’s minds, as to whether or not they would be able to support us going forth,” Cain said, according to a transcript by The National Review, which was on Tuesday morning’s call.
Cain’s admission on Tuesday seems a far cry from his reaction on Monday to White’s allegations, when he quipped on CNN: “Here we go again.”
Cain also faces sexual harassment accusations from four women — two of them who came forward in public. He has denied all impropriety.
“I will not be deterred by false, anonymous, incorrect accusations,” Cain said earlier this month.