Gingrich to Obama: ‘Repudiate the concept of the 99’ percent
Apparently Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich wants President Barack Obama to renounce basic math.
At a campaign event in Bluffton, South Carolina Tuesday the GOP hopeful called on Obama to “repudiate the concept of the 99 and the 1.”
Gingrich was referring to the Occupy movement’s opposition to the massive income inequality between the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans and the other 99 percent.
“When I am president, I will be president of all the American people, not part of the American people,” the former House Speaker declared. “And I will seek to unify the American people, not divide them against each other.”
“You are not going to get job creation when you are engaged in class warfare,” he added.
Gingrich, who is no friend of the Occupy movement, recently advised demonstrators to “[g]o get a job right after you take a bath.” He has also taunted protesters who interrupted one of his Florida rallies, saying that “[t]here is no such thing in America as 99 percent.”
The president, on the other hand, was a little more patient with the protesters who interrupted his speech in New Hampshire last week.
“[F]amilies like yours, young people like the ones here today — including the ones who were just chanting at me — you’re the reason that I ran for office in the first place,” Obama told them.
Considering the most recent allegations that Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain had a 13-year affair with a Georgia woman, one supporter on Tuesday asked Gingrich if any such claims might derail his campaign.
“The truth, I don’t have a clue,” the thrice-married candidate said, shrugging. “And if I did have a clue, that’s not what they would do.”
“Obama can’t possibly win an election that’s fair. The only way he’s going to win is to so destroy the Republican that people decide reluctantly that he is less disgusting than his opponent.”
Watch this video from CNN, broadcast Nov. 29, 2011.
(H/T: Think Progress)