In defense of cute kitten videos
Long-time readers may have noticed — and been annoyed by — the regular appearance of a cute animal video in the “Whoa!” section of our site. If you haven’t, I recommend checking out today’s video of a kitten pile, last week’s video of a golden retriever puppy, this video of the runt of a litter of kittens who is learning to walk, these Bengal kittens playing, or these kittens grooming one another.
As the Executive Editor, I take full responsibility for this. But I also have an explanation.
Each day, the great staff here at Raw Story have to read and report on some pretty disheartening things — and some weeks are more disheartening than others. Today alone, here are 5 stories that disheartened me before 9 am:
- Jan Brewer signed Arizona’s pregnant-before-conception law.
- Santorum donor Foster Friess wondering if Obama’s teleprompters are “bulletproof.
- Thousands of women in Uzbekistan are being forcibly sterilized, including via unwilling hysterectomy.
- The mayor of New York City, Michael Bloomberg, has his own helicopter and flies it around but can still keep public aviation authorities from knowing where he is going.
- The Mommy-wars and Rosen-gate continue apace.
So, yeah, by about mid-morning on a Friday, I want to watch a kitten do kitten-things, or a puppy do puppy-things, at least for a couple minutes, and I don’t feel bad about that. Often, so does at least one member of our team. And we figure our readers might, too.
The news is a serious business, but we at Raw Story try not to take ourselves too seriously. Hence: kitty videos.
And your reward for reading this, of course, is another video. Here’s a kitten attacking a much larger cat — a cat fight, if you will.