Clint Eastwood: Romney campaign ‘dumb enough’ to ask me to speak
Clint Eastwood is continuing to stand behind a bizarre speech that the gave at the Republican National Convention last month and says if that if Mitt Romney’s campaign was “dumb enough” to ask him to speak then they deserve what they got.
“People loved it or hated it, and that’s fine,” the 82-year-old actor told Extra‘s Jerry Penacoli. “I figure if somebody’s dumb enough to ask me to go to a political convention and say something, they’re gonna have to take what they get.”
And Eastwood said that he would probably do it all again.
“I never look backward. It’s done and it’s done. I probably would, I wouldn’t be afraid of it.”
Politico reported earlier this week that top Romney strategist Stuart Stevens had approved Eastwood’s “rambling comedy routine” because he “loved the idea of the tough-talking American icon greeting the millions of viewers tuning in to the main event.”
“But Eastwood, unlike every other speaker at the tightly controlled convention, had free rein to say or do whatever he wanted without the campaign’s approval,” according to Politico. “Many in the Romney high command watched in fury.”
A poll by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press later found that people identified Eastwood as the highlight of the convention, more than any other speaker, including Romney.
Watch this video from Extra, broadcast Sept. 17, 2012.