11-year-old cancer survivor catches fire in hospital room
Officials at a children’s hospital in Oregon are struggling to figure out how an 11-year-old cancer survivor suffered third-degree burns inside her room.
KATU-TV reported on Monday that Doernbecher Children’s Hospital staff is investigating whether the hand sanitizer in Ireland Lane’s room is to blame for her shirt catching fire while she was recovering from an unrelated head injury at the facility on Feb. 2.
“I’ve been in medicine going back 30 years now and never heard anything like this,” said the hospital’s assistant chief, Dr. Stacy Nicholson. “And hopefully I never will again.”
According to KPTV-TV, hospital officials said Ireland’s father, Stephen Lane, told them he was asleep in the room while she was painting something for Doernbecher’s nursing staff when the shirt caught fire. He was able to smother the flames after she ran out of the room screaming, and Ireland was transferred to a burn unit for recovery.
The Oregonian reported on Tuesday that Ireland is listed in serious condition and is scheduled to undergo a skin graft on Thursday, her 12th birthday.
“She’s quite a tough one,” Stephen Lane told the newspaper. “She’s been through more than any child I’ve ever heard of, and to still walk around with a smile on her face and enjoy the things of the day that are going on, and be a kid is to me pretty amazing.”
Watch KATU’s report on the freak accident that happened to Ireland, aired Monday, below.
[h/t ABC News]