Church volunteer busted for spiking kids’ Easter eggs with ADHD meds
A volunteer at an Alabama church was arrested on Tuesday after he allegedly put his prescription medication inside Easter Eggs that were given out to children.
According to the Press-Register, Daphne Police charged 21-year-old Jarret Anthony Helm with one count of disorderly conduct after a 6-year-old child swallowed medication found inside one of the plastic eggs.
Police officials said that Helm “inadvertently and accidentally” placed his Adderall pills inside one of 1,500 eggs while volunteering at Christ the King Catholic Church on Sunday. Adderall is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and has side effects similar to amphetamines.
But the 6-year-old “child did not suffer any adverse effects from the pill and is doing fine,” police said.
In a statement issued on Monday, the church asked parents to return all eggs to exchange them for new candy.
“It is possible, but unlikely, that another separate egg belonging to a volunteer was inadvertently and accidentally mixed in with the volume of 1500 eggs that were prepared by the Youth Ministry for the hunt,” the statement said. “The egg may contain a volunteer’s medicine that is unlikely to, but could potentially, be harmful if ingested. We believe that a sole egg which has been recovered was involved, but out of an abundance of caution are conducting a candy exchange to ensure safety.”
“We don’t want the kids to be without their candy,” church spokesperson Mary Mullen told the Press-Register.