Former wife: NRA official banned from carrying gun after ‘years of domestic violence’
The former wife of a top official with the National Rifle Association in New York says that “years of domestic violence” caused a judge to bar the NRA field representative from carrying a gun.
The New York Daily News on Wednesday reported that police has confiscated an arsenal of 39 firearms from the home of Richard D’Alauro in 2010 because of a confrontation with his then-wife at their Long Island home.
Suffolk County records showed that authorities filed misdemeanor charges against Richard D’Alauro for assault and endangering a child after the incident on Sept. 1, 2010. At the time, police confiscated 39 weapons from the NRA official’s home, including at least 16 handguns.
Richard D’Alauro later pleaded guilty to a non-misdemeanor harassment charge after admitting that tried to “harass, annoy or alarm” his wife with “physical contact.” Due to a protection order, D’Alauro cannot purchase or own a firearm until Oct. 3, 2013.
Maribeth D’Alauro told the Daily News that calling the confrontation an assault was “an accurate description,” and she is terrified at the thought that her former husband will be able to own guns again.
The former wife said that she had been “too afraid to ever call the police on him” after “years of domestic violence.”
D’Alauro is a “bully” who used the same tactics on her as the NRA uses to intimidate lawmakers, Maribeth D’Alauro explained.
Richard D’Alauro’s attorney, John Ray, insisted that the protection order had “no significance whatsoever” because the “NRA does not require its employees to own guns.”
But Sari Friedman, an attorney for Maribeth D’Alauro, disagreed.
“A man who has an order of protection against him … is a poor spokesman for the NRA,” Friedman said.
[“Businessman Takes To Gun To Protect His Business” on Shutterstock]