California man blows himself up after refusing medical help
A Costa Mesa, California neighborhood had to be evacuated Sunday night after a resident allegedly killed himself with a homemade bomb.
KTLA-TV reported on Monday that authorities found the unidentified man laying on his front lawn earlier in the evening, but refused medical attention and went back inside his home.
“Neighbors were trying to convince him to go to the hospital,” one resident, Laurie Raphoon, told KNBC-TV. “An hour or two later we heard an explosion.”
Costa Mesa police said the blast happened around 8 p.m. Sunday night. Residents in 16 homes nearby were evacuated. The man was found lying dead in his doorway.
Other neighbors told KCBS-TV the victim was in his late 40s or early 50s.
Both nearby authorities and the FBI investigated the scene and reportedly found other explosive devices in the home.
Watch KTLA’s report on the bomb-related suicide, aired April 15, 2013, below.