60 passengers injured after two-train collision in Connecticut
Connecticut Gov. Daniel Malloy (D) said during a brief press conference Friday night that a rush-hour collision between two Metro-North passenger trains left 5 people in critical condition, including one person with “very critical” injuries.
According to NBC News, a total of 60 people were hospitalized after the collision, most with minor injuries. Authorities have not estimated how many people were onboard each train, but said that, as the crash ocurred during peak operating hours on a Friday, they were likely packed.
CNN reported that the crash happened around 6:10 p.m. EST when a train headed from New Haven to New York City derailed and hit another train in Bridgeport, Connecticut.
“We don’t know what caused it,” Malloy said. “And having said that, these trains at that hour are in fairly constant use.” Other trains in service around the time of the collision, he explained, continued along their routes without incident.
One witness, Brian Alvarez, told CNN the scene around the wreckage was “pretty bloody.”
“I saw this one car and it was completely destroyed and they were pulling people out of the car,” he said.
Amtrak announced following the crash that service between New York and Boston along its Northeast Corridor had been suspended. Metro-North officials said that service along the line, which stretches from Bridgeport to beyong South Norwalk, has been suspended, as well.
“We are hopeful that we can respond to these circumstances and have regular transportation on Monday,” Malloy said.
Watch CNN’s report on the crash, aired Friday, below.