Columbus man says mushrooms made him rip off his penis
A 41-year-old Ohio man nearly died last week after he tore off part of his penis while high on drugs.
Washtenaw County Sheriff’s deputies responded to a burglar alarm at Ypsilanti Middle School in Detroit last Tuesday and found a screaming naked man.
Sgt. Geoff Fox told the Detroit Free Press that the man was covered with blood from the waist down and was kneeling outside the school.
“He really wasn’t saying much at all — a lot of yelling and screaming,” Fox explained. “He wasn’t making sense. They couldn’t really communicate with him in terms of constructive conversation.”
Fox said that a window at the school was broken but the man had not taken anything.
According to police, the man later said that he had been visiting friends, who gave him hallucinogenic — or “magic” — mushrooms. There was no evidence the man had a history of drug use or mental health issues.
The man was taken to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and then to University of Michigan Health System. Fox said that he had been near death when police found him.
“In terms of vital signs, they were as low as they could go without being dead — I could only assume due to the blood loss and the shock and trauma to the body,” Fox said.
“We’ve sent his blood off for further analysis to see if there was anything else, if the mushrooms could have been laced with something,” he added.
Police were expected to charge the man with burglary.
Watch this video from the Detroit Free Press, broadcast June 24, 2013.
[Photo credit: Man biting mushroom via Shutterstock.com]