Jewish leader blasts return of Nazi art trove to hoarding recluse
The leader of Germany’s Jewish community on Thursday slammed a decision by authorities to return hundreds of paintings to a recluse accused of hoarding priceless artworks believed stolen by the Nazis.
The president of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, Dieter Graumann, said the aim by prosecutors to give back some 300 works as early as next week was an irresponsible choice.
“After the whole thing was handled over 18 months nearly conspiratorially, the hasty reaction for a general return is certainly also the wrong one,” he told the daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung, stressing that the case had a “moral and historical dimension”.
The chief prosecutor in the southern city of Augsburg, who is investigating 80-year-old Cornelius Gurlitt on charges including tax evasion, acknowledged Tuesday that many of the hundreds of works confiscated from his home in February 2012 clearly belonged to him outright.
Prosecutor Reinhard Nemetz said he had asked a task force working on the spectacular find to identify such paintings “as soon as possible”.
The head of the World Jewish Congress, Ronald S. Lauder, told AFP this week that the decision to quickly give Gurlitt several works before making headway on the provenance of the looted art in the stash was “outrageous”.
Gurlitt is the son and heir of a powerful art dealer tasked by the Nazis with selling works that they stole, extorted or seized in exchange for hard currency, and with handpicking masterpieces for a “Fuehrer Museum” for Adolf Hitler in the Austrian city of Linz that was never built.
Customs police seized the works, including masterpieces by Picasso, Matisse and Chagall, during the raid last year on Gurlitt’s Munich flat.
Authorities had initially said that the haul included 1,406 artworks but a spokesman for Nemetz told AFP that because some of the sketches could no longer be counted as separate works, the official total was now about 1,280.
Prosecutors were Thursday to post pictures and titles of nearly 600 works in the hoard thought to have been looted from Jewish families by the Nazis on an official website, www.lostart.de.
The remaining artworks, those seized by the Nazis from museums and galleries as avant-garde “degenerate” art, will remain under wraps for now as the investigation continues, authorities said.
The case only came to light this month in a magazine article, drawing sharp criticism from victims of Nazi looting who believe their long-lost works may be in the collection.