Woody Allen’s team responds to renewed child sexual abuse allegations
Woody Allen’s attorney and publicist on Sunday answered claims of child sexual abuse made in a New York Times column Saturday by his daughter Dylan Farrow.
It is tragic that after 20 years a story engineered by a vengeful lover resurfaces after it was fully vetted and rejected by independent authorities, said Allen’s attorney Elkan Abramowitz in a note to Mother Jones. “The one to blame for Dylan’s distress is neither Dylan nor Woody Allen.”
Allen’s publicist Leslee Dart subsequently sent Mother Jones an email Sunday afternoon, which said “Mr. Allen has read the article and found it untrue and disgraceful. He will be responding very soon. … At the time, a thorough investigation was conducted by court appointed independent experts. The experts concluded there was no credible evidence of molestation; that Dylan Farrow had an inability to distinguish between fantasy and reality; and that Dylan Farrow had likely been coached by her mother Mia Farrow. No charges were ever filed.”
The open letter Farrow published on Nicholas Kristof’s New York Times blog details her allegations of sexual abuse by her father, two weeks after Allen received a lifetime achievement award from the Golden Globes.
Actress Mia Farrow, Dylan’s mother, ended her 12-year relationship with Allen in 1992 when she learned he had been having an affair with her adopted daughter from another marriage, Soon-Yi Previn. Allen subsequently married Previn. Allegations of Allen’s abuse of his daughter emerged during the Allen-Farrow split.
Dylan Farrow had herself remained silent in public about the matter until publishing the letter Saturday.
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association awarded a lifetime achievement Golden Globe to Allen earlier this month, prompting the response from Farrow.
The letter calls out several actors who have worked with Allen for their indifference to her claims. Cate Blanchett, one of those named, told reporters waiting at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival, “It’s obviously been a long and painful situation for the family and I hope they find some resolution and peace,” according to The Telegraph.
Alec Baldwin, no stranger to familial controversy, posted — and then deleted — a characteristic response on Twitter: “What the f&@% is wrong w u that u think we all need to b commenting on this family’s personal struggle?”
Louis CK, Scarlett Johansson, Emma Stone and Diane Keaton have not yet responded in public to Farrow’s letter.