Popular radio host opened door to rough sex allegations with Facebook post
The host of one of Canada’s most popular radio interviews took to Facebook Sunday night in an attempt to get in front of allegations of sexual violence towards women that had cost him his job earlier in the day.
Jian Ghomeshi, 47, was the host of CBC’s program Q, which he had co-created and hosted for 7 years. The CBC wouldn’t say what “information” it had that led to his firing. But today, the Toronto Star published the allegations of four women who say they were sexually assaulted by Ghomeshi — allegations the Star says it could not print until Ghomeshi himself referred to them in his Facebook post..
Ghomeshi has promised to sue the CBC for $50 million claiming “breach of confidence and bad faith” by the network.
The Toronto Star admitted that they had been working on a story on Ghomeshi since May — investigating accusations of sexual abuse by Ghomeshi against four women — but had held off publishing it. After Ghomeshi published his Facebook post where he admitted to ” tastes in the bedroom [that] may not be palatable to some folks,” describing them as possibly “strange, enticing, weird, normal, or outright offensive to others,” the Star went forward with the story just as the CBC terminated Ghomeshi’s contract.
In his Facebook post, Ghomeshi explained that he broke off a relationship with a woman earlier this year and that he came to believe that the woman began “a campaign of harassment, vengeance and demonization against me that would lead to months of anxiety.”
Ghomeshi admitted that he and the woman had engaged in an S&M sexual relationship, writing, “We saw each other on and off over the period of a year and began engaging in adventurous forms of sex that included role-play, dominance and submission.” He added that woman “encouraged our role-play and often was the initiator,” but stated that their sexual activities were always consensual.
According to Ghomeshi, the woman initiated reporting on his private life after she contacted a freelance reporter, identified as Jesse Brown.
Fearing the story was about to break, Ghomeshi used his Facebook post to explain his side and announce his firing by the CBC .
According to three of the women interviewed by the Star, Ghomeshi physically attacked them on dates without consent. Ghomeshi is accused of striking them with a closed fist or open hand, biting them, choking them until they almost passed out, covering their their nose and mouth so that they had difficulty breathing, and verbally abusing them during and after sex.
According to one women who never dated Ghomeshi but worked with him at the CBC, Ghomeshi once came up behind her, cupped her buttocks, and told her “I want to hate-f*ck you.”
None of the woman had previously gone to the police with their accusations, fearing retaliation from Ghomeshi and his fans.
In 2013, Carla Ciccone wrote a thinly-disguised account of a date with Ghomeshi for XOjane, entitled, “IT HAPPENED TO ME: I Accidentally Went On A Date With A Presumed-Gay Canadian C-List Celebrity Who Creepily Proved He Isn’t Gay.”
Following publication of the article Ciccone received hundreds of abusive messages and threats, with an online video posted calling her a “scumbag of the Internet” which was viewed over 397,000 times.
In stating that he would be suing the CBC, Ghomeshi said the network wasn’t concerned with legal difficulties that might arise from the allegations, but stories regarding his sexual behavior were “unbecoming of a prominent host on the CBC.”
“They said that I was being dismissed for ‘the risk of the perception that may come from a story that could come out,'” he wrote, “To recap, I am being fired in my prime from the show I love and built and threw myself into for years because of what I do in my private life.”
Ghomeshi’s Q, is one of the most successful shows in CBC history and is syndicated to over 180 radio stations in the U.S.
Monday morning guest host Brent Bambury told Q listeners the show would be “moving forward.”