After the Sandy Hook kids were slaughtered, Ted Cruz was more worried about protecting guns
Before I get started, a reminder.
These are the names and birth dates of those who were killed at Sandy Hook Elementary School on December 14, 2012:
–Charlotte Bacon, 2/22/06, female
– Daniel Barden, 9/25/05, male
– Rachel Davino, 7/17/83, female.
– Olivia Engel, 7/18/06, female
– Josephine Gay, 12/11/05, female
– Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 04/04/06, female
– Dylan Hockley, 3/8/06, male
– Dawn Hochsprung, 06/28/65, female
– Madeleine F. Hsu, 7/10/06, female
– Catherine V. Hubbard, 6/08/06, female
– Chase Kowalski, 10/31/05, male
– Jesse Lewis, 6/30/06, male
– James Mattioli , 3/22/06, male
– Grace McDonnell, 12/04/05, female
– Anne Marie Murphy, 07/25/60, female
– Emilie Parker, 5/12/06, female
– Jack Pinto, 5/06/06, male
– Noah Pozner, 11/20/06, male
– Caroline Previdi, 9/07/06, female
– Jessica Rekos, 5/10/06, female
– Avielle Richman, 10/17/06, female
– Lauren Rousseau, 6/1982, female (full date of birth not specified)
– Mary Sherlach, 2/11/56, female
– Victoria Soto, 11/04/85, female
– Benjamin Wheeler, 9/12/06, male
– Allison N. Wyatt, 7/03/06, female
That is 20 children — most of them 6-years-old — and 6 adult teachers, administrators, and school workers who died trying to protect them.
Keep that in mind and remember that a lunatic named Adam Lanza stalked through the school with a high-powered weapon and slaughtered these people, most of them terrified children, shooting them multiple times and shredding their bodies at close range primarily with bullets from a gun that looked similar to this:
Lanza also carried a Glock 20SF, proudly described by the manufacturer as offering “nothing short of massive firepower,” and a 9mm Sig Sauer which he never got around to using before he killed himself.
Adam Lanza’s mother was what might be considered a “gun nut,” reportedly bragging to her friends about her gun collection and taking her son, who had severe emotional and psychological problems, to gun ranges where he was allowed to practice shooting. In the end, it cost her her life when he shot her in the head before going on his rampage at Sandy Hook.
Which brings us to Ted Cruz, 2016 Presidential candidate.
Tuesday night, Megyn Kelly pressed Cruz on his brief tenure in the Senate, asking him, “What have you actually accomplished?”
Here is what popped into the mind — and then out of the mouth — of Ted Cruz , 2016 Presidential candidate:
“What we have accomplished in many of the instances is stopping bad things from happening. Remember the beginning of the second term of Obama. We had the horrible shooting in Sandy Hook. And President Obama didn’t come out and say ‘Let’s target violent criminals,’ which is what he should have done and brought together bipartisan agreement. Instead he used it as excuse to go after law-abiding citizens. Much of Washington was consigned, [saying] ‘We can’t stop this, the train is moving, get on board.’ I did everything I could to energize and mobilize the grassroots to stand up and protect the Second Amendment. And every single proposal of Barack Obama to undermine the Second Amendment was voted down on the Senate floor.”
Outside of being misleading — Adam Lanza didn’t become a violent criminal until after he shot his mother while she was still in bed — that may be one of the most tone-deaf responses I’ve ever heard from a politician.
His most notable accomplishment, after 26 people — 20 of them small children — were systematically tracked down and butchered, was that he fought to make sure that guns remained cheap, plentiful, and easy to obtain in America?
Ted Cruz is a sociopath.
And he wants to be president.