Senator Elizabeth Warren says Labor Dept dismantled website for Wells Fargo workers
Democratic Senator Elizabeth Warren on Friday accused the U.S. Labor Department of dismantling a website designed to help Wells Fargo workers file whistleblower retaliation and other complaints against the bank after Donald Trump became president, an accusation denied by the department.
Warren, in a letter to Acting Labor Secretary Edward Hugler, claimed the site (www.dol.gov/wellsfargo) “was up and running as of January 20, 2017.” Now, visitors to the site are greeted with the words: “Page Not Found.”
Warren said she discovered the site was removed on Jan. 24.
But Steve Barr, a spokesman for the Labor Department, disputed those claims, saying the web page came down on Jan. 9 – while Barack Obama was still president.
He declined to comment on why it was removed, and said the department would respond to Warren’s inquiry.
A screenshot of the site, titled “Resources for Current or Former Wells Fargo Employees,” was still up and running as of Dec. 21, according to an archived page captured by The WayBack Machine, a non-profit that captures snapshots of websites and archives them.
Reuters could not immediately verify precisely when the web page was removed, as The WayBack Machine did not capture any screenshots of the page in January.
The controversy surrounding the removal of the page designed to assist Wells Fargo workers comes at the same time that Trump’s administration has been accused of removing web pages on other government sites.
Reuters previously reported that the Environmental Protection Agency was instructed to remove pages on climate change.
Former Labor Department Secretary Thomas Perez created the special website last September, shortly after Wells Fargo was ordered to pay $190 million in fines and customer restitution after its high-pressure sales environment led to the opening of as many as two million accounts that customers may not have authorized.
Some of the bank’s employees filed whistleblower complaints with the Labor Department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration, saying they had been fired for reporting the “gaming” of sales quotas by Wells Fargo, while others complained that they were forced to work late.
“Taking down this website enables Wells Fargo to escape full responsibility for its fraudulent actions and the department to shirk its outstanding obligations to American workers,” wrote Warren, who is a member of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions, which oversees the Labor Department.
When he launched the site, Perez pledged to Warren he would conduct a top-to-bottom review of all the Wells Fargo complaints the department had received to see how they were handled.
The website also offered assistance on issues including proper pay for employees and workplace discrimination.
Reuters has reported on issues with some of the whistleblower cases, including one involving a former Wells Fargo employee who waited nearly five years to be interviewed after telling OSHA she was fired for reporting the gaming.
On Friday, Warren asked for an update on the Labor Department’s review.
The findings have not been made public, but a person familiar with the review said that OSHA’s San Francisco office, which handled the bulk of the Wells Fargo complaints, faced a particularly high caseload-to-staff ratio.
The review also found that OSHA does not have an effective case management system to track what is going on in the field, the person added.
Labor spokesman Barr declined to comment on that part of the letter, saying he cannot discuss ongoing investigations.
Warren’s concerns could resurface on Feb. 7, when fast-food executive Andrew Puzder is expected to appear for his confirmation hearing to become the next labor secretary.
Puzder is already facing a backlash by some of his own workers at CKE Restaurants, who allege they are victims of wage theft.
(Reporting by Sarah N. Lynch; editing by Leslie Adler, G Crosse)