Women are actually the winners this election, in no small part thanks to Obama’s influence on down ticket wins. We saw a complete shutdown of anti-choice initiatives around the country, and in another sign of thing to come, we now have a record number of female members of Congress. The notion that Sarah Palin is a “feminist” because she has a vagina and a power suit was shut down, as was the idea that we can’t work with pro-feminist men to get our way. The “all in this together” crowd won out and showed that we aren’t stupid, we aren’t un-feminist, and we will work diligently to improve life for women in this country. One election at a time.
Seriously, just read these highlights:
* Florida: Suzanne Kosmas, an advocate of children’s issues, universal healthcare and alternative energy, beat Abramoff buddy Rep. Tom Feeney.
* Illinois: Debbie Halvorson trounced concrete magnate Marty Ozinga in a district that has not elected a Dem in 14 years.
* Colorado: Betsy Markey fought back against nasty personal attacks to defeat KKK-approved Rep. Marilyn Musgrave.
* Arizona: Ann Kirkpatrick wrested a Dem seat from antichoice mining lobbyist Sydney Hay.
* Maine: Chellie Pingree, whose daughter is a state rep, defeated Charlie Summers.
* Ohio: Marcia Fudge will continue as hardworking heir to Stephanie Tubbs-Jones.
* New Hampshire: Wins by Carol Shea-Porter and Jeanne Shaheen.