Last, we saw a band at the Continental Club that I think has a lot of appeal: Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears. The lead singer especially has a great voice, but the whole band is amazing.
They’re an Austin-based band, and it’s been a good year for them. They opened for Spoon. They played Lollapalooza. They opened for Barack Obama, and were thrilled when he asked for a round of applause for them by name. Their record is coming out in March, so keep an eye out for it.
Today’s Genius song: “River Deep/Mountain High” by Ike & Tina Turner
1) “Please, Please, Please”—James Brown
2) “Love Makes A Woman”—Barbara Acklin
3) “Do Right Woman, Do Right Man”—Aretha Franklin
4) “A Change Is Gonna Come”—Sam Cooke
5) “Blue Velvet”—The Clovers
6) “Piece Of My Heart”—Erma Franklin
7) “Super Stupid”—Funkadelic
8) “Soul On Fire”—Lavern Baker
9) “Just Kissed My Baby”—The Meters
10) “Tell Me”—Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
Critique of Genius: Ike & Tina Turner had one foot in the R&B/soul world and one foot in the rock world of the 60s. And this particular selection was a Phil Spector production, which means that there’s linkages to other Spector bands. I feel that this list would have been better if it had the soul acts, some 60s rock like the Animals, and some Spector tunes by the Ronettes or the Crystals. I hope that future incarnations of Genius can be that intelligent.
Cat pic and videos under the fold.
So I come home from the grocery store, and take all my groceries out of the bag. And then I leave it there to go to the bathroom or something, and when I come back, Dusty had crawled into the bag with only her head sticking out.
She was quite relaxed, and napped there for a couple of hours until I made her move lest she think that my grocery bag is her property.