I’m glad we don’t have to worry about racism any more. Sean Delonas created this unbelievable cartoon for the New York Post that clearly passed muster with the editors’ desk. It portrays commentary on the stimulus bill (“They’ll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill”) using a bullet-ridden chimp on the pavement. Who do you think he’s referring to?
Never mind the fact that the cartoon calls for violence agains the “author” of the bill, who happens to be POTUS. Maybe we progressives are just not in on the joke — they were really shooting Travis the chimpanzee, who was shot by cops in Connecticut the other day, right?
We already have a spike in racist hate groups out there in the wake of Obama’s election; why not add to the pile by endorsing racial stereotypes and violence for knee-slapping entertainment in a major newspaper?
At least we know there are a few human beings in the NYP newsroom; there’s apparently a good deal of turmoil over this garbage:
A newsroom employee at The Post, who spoke on condition of anonymity because employees were not permitted to comment on the matter, said its newsroom received many calls of complaints on Wednesday morning after the publication of the cartoon. “Every line was lit up for several hours,” the employee said. “The phones on the city desk have never rung like that before.” Many Post staff members were dismayed by the cartoon, the employee added.
Perhaps some of the McCain/Palin Republican Base can sign up for editorial cartoonist and news desk positions at the New York Post. After all, they were quite creative in the last election cycle, and might have been an influence on Delonas for all we know…it’s time to bring out the refresher list.
* The parade of racist images continues: Obama ribs 'n chicken
* California: Sacramento GOP web site calls for the torture of Barack Obama
* Mike Signorile listens to The Hate Out There
* Here we go again: another Palin groupie shouts 'kill him' at PA rally
* Own it, bigot
* Missouri: More of the McCain/Palin/GOP Base
* Frank Rich on the fires stoked by McCain/Palin
* The GOP ticket draws, and apparently embraces, the bigot eruption crowd
* More fun in post-racial America
* John McCain forced to denounce racist, homophobic member of Virginia leadership team
* Kentucky, I know you can do better than this
* FL: middle school teacher uses 'nigger' to describe Barack Obama
* Palin praised racist writer who called for RFK's assassination
* Values at the Values Voter Summit – Obama as a Muslim Aunt Jemima
* Westmoreland stands by 'uppity' remark about Obama
* White supremacists: Obama's boosting our movement
* John McLaughlin: Obama fits the 'Oreo' stereotype
* Georgia: publication features Obama in crosshairs on cover for article on white supremacist threat
* Bigot eruption: GOP House member refers to Obama as 'boy'
A Daily Kos thread on this is over 750 comments.
UPDATE: Video of Al Sharpton commenting on the cartoon is below the fold and more context that makes it hard to let the cartoonist solely take the fall for this BS. Via Raw Story:
Sam Stein at Huff Post noted:
In the page preceding a New York Post cartoon that depicts drafters of the stimulus legislation as a gun-downed chimpanzee, the paper published a large photo of Barack Obama signing that very piece of legislation.
The succession of the story and cartoon creates a rather jarring visualization for some readers. One person who pointed out the layout to the Huffington Post expressed bewilderment that anyone “would think that this is okay.”