So, Saturday we went and saw the best show I’ve seen in forever: Janelle Monae/Of Montreal. Now, I’d do a Janelle Monae mix, but I’ve done one already. But what I’ll do instead is an Of Montreal mix, and then stuff the videos with Janelle Monae. Because if you’re not listening to Janelle Monae, you should. While Of Montreal was great, as per usual, they struggled a bit because basically no act in the world should have to go on after Janelle Monae, full stop. What a show! If you have a chance to see her, drop what you’re doing and go do that. She’s an amazing singer, dancing, show person, and her band kicks complete ass. I was literally sore from dancing the next day.
Then, just in case people weren’t having enough fun, Of Montreal brought Janelle Monae’s band and dancers on to do a 3 song set of Michael Jackson songs for the encore. It was too much fun. There should be a law, and thank god Rudy Giuliani isn’t mayor, or he probably would pass one.
Original song: “Suffer for Fashion” by Of Montreal
1) “Knife” by Grizzly Bear
2) “Another Sunny Day” by Belle and Sebastian
3) “Mount Wrocial (Idle Days” by Beirut (easily the most pretentious band that I like, but they’re good enough that I suffer through it)
4) “I Was A Lover” by TV on the Radio
5) “Cannibal Resource” by the Dirty Projectors
6) “Melody Day” by Caribou
7) “All My Friends” by LCD Soundsystem
8) “+81″ by Deerhoof
9) “Lloyd, I’m Ready to Be Heartbroken” by Camera Obscura
10) “Golden Age” by TV on the Radio
Janelle Monae videos below the fold, to convince you to buy her album The ArchAndroid, which is looking like it’s going to be the album of the year.
And here’s the new Of Montreal single: