There will be no criminal charges over the destruction of CIA tapes showing interrogation of terrorism detainees, according to a new report.
Federal prosecutors have determined that there is not enough evidence to bring charges, two sources have told NPR.
The statue of limitations expired Monday so no future prosecutions will be possible.
A few of the tapes allegedly contained evidence showing the interrogation of two detainees, Abu Zubaydah and Abd al-Rahim al-Nashiri. Intelligence officials told NBC News that one of the tapes showed Zubaydah being waterboarded. Other tapes contained innocuous images of other detainees.
The CIA reportedly destroyed the tapes in November 2005. The Senate Intelligence Committee’s Democratic chairman, Sen. Jay Rockefeller, learned of their destruction in November 2006.
Then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey named Assistant US Attorney John Durham to lead an investigation in January 2008.
Attorney General Eric Holder expanded Durham’s mandate last year and asked him to look into whether the CIA or contractors went beyond legal interrogation methods. That investigation is ongoing, according to NPR’s sources.