Quantcast

Mike Huckabee likens abortion to slavery

By Sahil Kapur
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 15:29 EDT
google plus icon
huckafp

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

WASHINGTON – Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee (R) compared abortion to slavery at an anti-abortion fundraiser, according to the University of Tennessee’s Daily Beacon.

Huckabee, a top contender for the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, said abortion shouldn’t be a states rights issue, as that would be like making slavery a states rights issue.

“It was wrong to own a slave in Mississippi and Michigan,” Huckabee said, as quoted by the student newspaper Daily Beacon. “This is not a states issue.”

Giving the keynote speech at a Knoxville Convention Center event organized by the anti-abortion Center for Bioethical Reform, Huckabee called abortion a moral issue that’s “not about left and right” but “about right and wrong.”

Tennessee news station WBIR reported that outside the Monday dinner, protesters rallied against the Center for Bioethical Reform, which is “known for posting images of aborted fetuses on the UT campus as part of its anti-abortion campaign.”

Huckabee is considered to be one of the GOP’s top three contenders to lead the 2012 Republican ticket for the presidency, sharing the stage with former governors Mitt Romney and Sarah Palin in numerous polls.

“For me this is an issue that I’ve said before, transcends all of the political issues. I often said I would gladly lose an election before I would ever yield on the issue of the sanctity of human life,” Huckabee told the crowd.

Huckabee is especially popular with Republican voters who rank religious and social issues as their top priorities.

He has made a similar comparison before. At a 2009 fundraiser, Huckabee said allowing abortion would be like telling the younger generation that “it is perfectly OK for one person to own another human being.”

“I thought we dealt with that 150 years ago when the issue of slavery was finally settled in this country, and we decided that it no longer was a political issue, it wasn’t an issue of geography, it was an issue of morality,” he said, according to The Associated Press.

By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.

• http://twitter.com/llotek1 Daniel Enright

haha…isnt Huckabee Southern for “Douche Bag”…no?…well it is now….Please America, dont elect another “Huckabee” to the Whitehouse…no seriously..

• Anonymous

What a huckabee….hahahaha. I like it.

• http://twitter.com/btmfdrsheaven rebecca meritt

If you could legislate morality Adam and Eve would still be in the Garden. It is immoral that Rev. Huck is one of the top three contenders for prez,and even more immoral that Palin is and we have no law to stop that crime against humanity.

• Anonymous

He is right about one thing. It’s NOT a states issue, it’s a personal issue.

• http://twitter.com/honorablelordk Karim Walker

Shameless…absolutely shameless

• http://twitter.com/seelady23 Shannon Dalton

The “sanctity of life” people had 4 whole years of congressional, presidential, and supreme court majorities ALL AT ONCE, during the Bush debacle and if they were really serious about ending abortion rights, they could have done something about it then, but it’s just too good to be able to use it as a political tool. They care NOTHING about abortion, only to use it to get voters.

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_2PYWYUIGOOWAX67XTY4X7FJ4HU video bokep

LOL that was so funny… hahaha…...

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_3WYAWTN4LJ2TAZGFCL3U4H6AWM TheGuru

There is no “oops” about it. This is the new right wing talking point about abortion. They liken a fetus to a viable human slave. As a result, they are also likening a woman to a slave holder. It seems that they feel that they can gain the sympathy of African Americans by using this analogy.

I can’t figure out how they did it, but the Rightees came out with a way to degrade women and the black community at the same time. I guess it is what they call “labor saving”, or producing.

• kiboshki

I’m sure the good Rev Huckster can show me where in the Bible Jesus talks about abortion. I’m sure it’s right near all that stuff in which Jesus says a good person is supposed to take care of the poor and all those children who will be born into poverty if people like him get their way.

• Anonymous

Well you know what? Feeding the poor and providing medical care fot our people is a moral issue too.

• http://twitter.com/Tao_of_Ray Ray

I think he meant the ‘War on (some) Drugs’

• Anonymous

Wow, I didn’t know slavery, like abortion is voluntary and, on some occasions, life saving.

• Anonymous

The anti-abortion movement is the new abolition movement. They have seen it this way from the get-go, and they are willing to fight another civil war over it.

• Anonymous

God actually sanctions abortion in Numbers 5:11-31…He says a man can give his wife bitter waters if she has been unfaithful to cause a miscarriage…Huh…

• Greg Eckhart

Heh
    Then there is the peculiar case of prohibitions on gambling and usury. Those ain’t in their Bile either, apparently.

• http://twitter.com/Howieisright Howieisright

I always referred to him when I took a dump. I just took a big Huckabee and wiped my John Boehner

• http://skulzstudios.com/ don nash

The Huckster says, “the sanctity of human life…”
    Yeah Huckster, tells us about those ‘wars’ you seem to like.

• Anonymous

Obama is just like this guy.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Daniel-Brown/690547972 Daniel Brown

I always thought their defense to that was the fetus is innocent because it is not a soldier. Once that fetus is in uniform attacking us, or has decided to attack us for any reason, that life is not sanctuous anymore and you can kill it.

So you see, with humans, the sanctity can be taken away depending on when other humans feel is right.

• Knot

I hate it when the GOP destroys a perfectly good political discussion by dragging their religion into it.

You know what’s like slavery? Men trying to exert control over what a woman does with her body. Forcing a woman to do something and justifying it with religious beliefs, just like the Taliban, is a lot closer to slavery. That’s probably why the Supreme Court decided that discussions and procedures were between a woman and her doctor, and the men trying to control them were acting unconstitutionally. Get over it, women have equal rights in society now.

• Anonymous

I’ll be damned! “Huckabee called abortion a moral issue that’s “not about left and right” but “about right and wrong.” Wasn’t it just yesterday that someone (perhaps Sandra?) used the exact same paradigm here at RS? What a coinky dink. If I remember accurately she said that we had been raised on the left-right paradigm and we had to start thinking in terms of right and wrong instead. I guess that post was designed to serve as the refresher course to prepare us for Huckabee’s speech using that same conceptualization, today. Again what a coinky dink. And yes someone also said yesterday that the left is paying people to post at these boards.

Now I can’t say for sure because all I know is me, but if there are any leftist organizations out there who will pay lefties to post on message boards, please find me. I have been doing this for nothing for about 12 years and even though I have been accused many times of doing this for money, I haven’t gotten a cent yet. But I’m willing to give up my amateur status for anything more than a song! What’s even more telling is that Huffington was even getting nearly all of her bloggers to work for free. That’s what it’s like on the left. On the right, they have think tank money pouring in from their grassroots founders like the billionaires who run the grassroots teaparty movement. But since the conservative/libertarians are always accusing the left of posting for pay an they are generally projecting I gotta think that it is the right side that is being paid.

Yeah, I gotta think that is some coincidence a person showing up here yesterday spreading this paradigm around just before Huckabee puts it out there. And of course, all the righties ate it up. Bit some of the libertarian types are going to have to adjust their sails here because Huckabee is throwing the states right’s crowd a curve ball. Because Huckabee is too canny to let abortion be a states rights’ issue; he knows too many states will allow it, so he wants to disallow it at the federal level because of if it’s not a left-right issue, it’s a right-wrong issue. The left is wrong and the right is well right–end of story!

Yes, miraculously by a simple twist of fate, this conceptualization makes the right, right and the left, wrong. I wonder if Sandra came up with this herself or if this dribbled out of the ever active right wing mind of Frank “focus group” Luntz?

But no matter what is important is that the left is almost automatically wrong, how convenient!

• Guest

I’ve always thought Mike Schmuckabee was a good, god-fearing, family values kind of dude.

• Anonymous

If they were really serious about the sanctity of life, they’d have been pushing for universal health care, the end of the death penalty, and the end of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Abortion is small potatoes by comparison.

• Anonymous

Huckabee, what a floater. Just keeps circling the toilet bowl, but won’t go down.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Dorothy-Banks/100001470098554 Dorothy Banks

Five subjects Teabagger Republicans like to cover when the make speeches in front of audiences that are low on information and history. They are even lower on intelligence: slavery, abortion, Hitler, communism and President Obama. Especially noticeable is the fact that they are at an extreme loss for words if they can’t hogtie President Obama to a slew of lies and misinformation.

I know this sounds like a blanket indictment of people in southern states, but I live in Texas, where Rick Perry is governor, along with a number of politicians in Washington who can’t keep their foot out of their mouths. So I know from whence I speak…with regret.

• Anonymous

First off huck, maybe you should let the southerners know we solved that issue 150 years ago. Most of the southerners are a little behind the times. Abortion should be no ones business but the woman who wants one! No uterus, no opinion. If a woman doesn’t want one she doesn’t have to get one. It’s that simple. So you and your religious nuts can find something else to rally about how about ending the wars because you believe in the sanctity of life? Not only would you be saving lives, but you would be helping to cut the deficit. An absolutely win win situation! You can’t have a pro life philosophy and only want to save certain lives. Either life is sacred or it is not. Unless all you pro lifers are true pro-lifers you can’t be taken seriously

• Anonymous

I hope Huckabee has a vasectomy. It would be a crime against humanity to risk passing on this particular stupid gene.

• Anonymous

I’m not sure what to make of this. Them reich wing, Southern Baptist type boys love slavery. So is that comparison a good thing or a bad thing?

• http://www.youtube.com/user/RepublicConstitution?feature=mhum TruthRegimes

Huckabee is nothing but another Zionist, Neo-Con, Islamophibic War Monger.

• Anonymous

One can only presume that after 18 or moe paid round trips to Israel that the ex – Governor of the “Banana State of Arkansas” as he called it once, that he too has fallen under the same weird spell as Congresswoman Bachmann and ex Senator Santorum. Sad to think that he is considered by some a Presidential candidate of the USA

• Anonymous

interesting how conservatives change their tune about federal intervention when it’s an issue that THEY want to have corrected. This is the mental conflict that is one of the biggest roadblocks to real and useful progress in this country. conservatives/libertarians are so deadset against government mandates of any kind but we all know that without that oversight in SOME form we most certainly would not have gotten past certain very real problems in this country. I love the idea of being left alone to do as I please. I am a very private person and I am pro gay rights, a self professed male feminist and love all of the fun that i have had consuming drugs and alcohol. So I certainly see the value in leaving well enough alone when it comes to someone making choices for themselves. guess what though all of those things that i just named would not be moving an inch forward if it werent for some bigger third party stepping in and saying enough with the dark ages laws already. Sorry but i’m from the deep south and it scares the living fucking jesus out of me to think that my home state might be able to completely secede and start making all of the decisions for me. I and millions of others would be forced to move into more progressive states or out of the country. But i like the fucking heat. So fuck off with all of your hypocrisies and realize that your mother/sisters/daughters being able to vote, that fact that car companies have to put seatbelts in cars to protect your family and countless other pieces of legislation where handed down from the same demonic feds you love to hate. reform not refuse. realize your irony and get over yourself

• Anonymous

“Huckabee called abortion a moral issue that’s “not about left and right” but “about right and wrong.”

Hey, dumbfuck, if you own a penis you don’t get to have a say. But, you can go fuck yourself. No harm, no foul.

• Guest

WELL SAID, Shannon Dalton!!! I never even thought about THE tools using it as another tool.

• Anonymous

He is a Southern Baptist minister.

How odd for him to be negative re: slavery … when the Southern Baptist Convention split from the rest of the Baptists in the USA over that issue … the SBC cited the Bible in support of slavery, and that is EXACTLY what the Bible supports.

A few years ago, the SBC pretended to issue an “apology” but it was NOT an apology.

and the Bible still supports slavery

• http://twitter.com/LevStrauss Lev Strauss

That’s ridiculous! Slaves got to live. They usually didn’t stab a slave in the head and suck its brains out with a vacuum or cut it up and suck it out or whatever they do to kill the living thing. Listen killing babies should be legal until you can see it, similar to how we viewed war for the past fifty years. There are just some people that shouldn’t reproduce. Why waste resources on more useless people? We don’t just need more dead babies, we need to kill more babies in the third world too or we’re really going to be in for some shit in the future.

• Anonymous

I could liken Huckabeus to a one-celled amoeba, but that would be an insult to amoebas. Also, can amoebas be Nazis? If so, then Huckabeus is a Nazi amoeba.

• http://www.facebook.com/people/Peter-Bailey/1083393808 Peter Bailey

Please please not the White House. He’ll be playing bass on the porch (have you ever seen his Hee-Haw take off show?) with his religionist friends and singing slave spirituals and never seeing the irony.
    “Nobody knows the trouble us white-oppressed-southern-jesuscultists have seen,
    with the march of satanic humanism stamping us under the liberal-commie-progressive-abortionists’ boots,
    but we will rise up with justified homicide laws…” etc. (snark)

• Anonymous

Abortion is about avoiding a zillion medical calamities, no matter how “cute and innocent the fetus is”. Why is that beyond the comprehension of male and self-hating female Tea Turds? Why do the Tea Turds insist women always risk multiple organ failures, incontinence, cancers, autoimmune diseases and limb amputations EVERY TIME they have sex? Men would never tolerate such frequent risks.

• Ed Dominguez

Just like the GOP lets talk about this bullshit issue of abortion, instead of health care, jobs and the state of the union.

• Anonymous

Killing two slaves with one stone?

• Anonymous

Fetal idolators oppose health care and abortion because they get holy orgasms by inflicting medical misery on us “unworthies” — they have criminal Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome psychosis.

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/L5PHKRPFHK3LLTRDNVH2ZBIWOA Cal

Its a pity Huckabee wasn’t aborted.

• Anonymous

These boys that think that life is created when they relieve themselves amaze me. They don’t need no stinkin’ God; THEY create life. Can you say “blaspheme?”

• Anonymous

Methinks there’s a little, tiny, afwaid little boy monitoring the comments. God forbid someone should state the truth about men and their likening intercourse to holiness.

• Lincoln Paradox

You said it, Ms. Dalton. The GOP doesn’t give a crap about this issue. It’s just something that they haul out to make the Democrats look like baby killers.

• Lincoln Paradox

Exactly, raincrow. Exactly.

• http://twitter.com/borderline4life Lti

I like your style man!!!

• Anonymous

If elected, Huckabee will outlaw science!

• Anonymous

It is a core “wedge-issue.” I’ve asked people if someone like adolf hitler was running for office on the platform they opposed abortion you would vote for them over another candidate; they said yes, everytime. Frightening.

• Ma’at

Just another Conservative piece of shit saying what conservative pieces of shit say.

And ANY women who either vote GOP in 2012 or don’t show up to vote against GOP is a traitor to her sex.

• Anonymous

He’s pro babies ‘cuz he’s pro war. More babies, more supply of christian soldiers for war, the less you’ll have to pay them. Supply and demand. Another psycho cult leader offering his flock as cannon fodder to “fight evil”. Teach kids science, keep them away from church, especially mega churche$. Keep them out of the socialist (slaves to Oil interests) military. This guy is Trouble with a capital “T”. T also meaning: drone Terrorist. Carl Sagan was warning us about guys like this.

• Anonymous

In this case that’s exactly it. Ron Paul is all about states rights, this is going to split the repub party even more. Why he wants to be affiliated with these Zombies is beyond me. I can’t imagine going to a GOP convention and not puking out my intestines. It’s a huge MegaChurch now. The Undead obsessed with the sanctity of Life. Vampires. Don’t look into their eyes! Get out your garlic. They’ll pretend to be your friend…

• Anonymous

who doesn’t believe that huckabee would have owned a slave or two back in the “good old days”? he’s a lying evil bastard and i would make a bet with anyone that the klan is somewhere in his past.

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/3ETFGMQ3B7VD4AAMILBBEVMCWE JasonA

Mike, tell us about the multi million dollar mansion you are building. You thief.

Sure will, let’s pretend it is the year: 1011, again.

Another issue to distract attention from the real thieves in DC.

• Guest

Ron Paul is anti-abortion, and anti-choice. But he’s a staunch “government out of my life” libertarian. I guess he doesn’t see women as being entitled to the same rights to privacy and freedom.

A bit hypocritical.

Oh wait…he’s republicon.

• Guest

Smedley’s my man!

• Guest

We feel your pain.

• Anonymous

According to that Austrian School Nobel Prize winning economist or something, Friedrich August von, Hayek (1899-1992), taxation is also slavery!

So I guess given this, abortion and just about anything can be termed “slavery;” it’s an Austrian School tradition.

• Guest

Jobs! For fetuses!

Not socialism though. Cut funding for hungry American children.

• Anonymous

Conservatives: Never have so many been so stupid.

• Guest

It seems these right-wing religious cultists have the same sense of people ownership as slave owners did. Once the woman is pregnant she becomes a non-person. The fetus she carries becomes – like her – another commodity, chattel. So I guess abortion interferes with Mike’s ownership of what he thinks belongs to him personally. Now the slave reference is starting to make sense.

• Guest

One other thing. Someone needs to tell the righteous crusader that Michigan was never a slave state. Always a free state. And that includes freedom for pregnant women.

• Anonymous

I could liken Huckabeus to a narcissitic liar and hatemongering abomination.

• Helen Wheels

Fuckabee’s getting fat again. No self control. Ha ha ha ha.

• Helen Wheels

I’ve missed you heilMary. I’ve been gone from RAW for years. I like this new commenting system and I’m baaaack (you will remember me as my other alias… see if you can figure it out “BBTC”).

:)

• Ed Dominguez

cut funding in education, but more money for prisons.

• http://www.balmorheaprogressive.blogspot.com/ BaileyWuXiang

The sin of gluttony seems to run amok within the preacher class. Maybe that’s due to sexual repression. If they can’t have pussy without acting-out, then chocolate cheese cake becomes a neurotic obsession.

I’ve gotten into the habit of compacting all that into a single word: Baptist.

I think the more accurate comparison is between abortion and his candidacy.

“Look at the birds of the fields. They neither reap, nor sow, nor gather in barns. Yet their Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more then they are? And just in case I’m being naive compared to other Jews, put away a shit-load of cash in a really big house and screw the poor. A bank will do for starters.” –Jesus

You’d be surprised how many people there are out there who still wipe their asses with corncobs.

• Anonymous

Is that you, my beloved Bobo the clown?? I also like the name helenwheels (as in Hell ON Wheels), but I’m a bit gender-confused here, because I think Bobo was a guy. Am I guessing completely wrong? :-)

• Anonymous

That’s not surprising — I grew up disfigured by such fetal fascist Catholics. More recently I learned that the Vatican ordered German Catholics to vote for Hitler because he opposed abortion and our Dems are too spineless to bring this up whenever theothug bishops bully them on their abortion records.

• Guest

Tell me a boat with a million republican/teabagger sunk and I’ll thank god on my knees telling him “thanks lord…that there is a good start.”

• Anonymous

Huckabee is great to show just how seriously a bunch of fools that American population has become. Education for these people comes from their bible and not from the intelligence of outstanding thinkers in many fields of interest. The US is going to die because it’s people cannot compete with countries that are literate in science, math and the ability to discuss multiple philosophies.

• Anonymous

Wonder what kind of doctor he is… old school white male patriarchy, he’s probably against mid-wives, skeptical of holistics… he’s probably too old school to recommend C-sections for every birth though, although I’m sure he feels that “time is money”. RepubliKon Chicago Boy, probably once a friend to Pinochet. I should look that up…
    Interesting history… N. Klein’s “Shock Doctine” pushing my thinking here
    I started here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_school_of_economics

• Anonymous

And the race is on, who can hate abortion more?, it’s Huckabee coming from the back, wait, on the outside its Palin, and here comes Mitt, what a race folks, what a race. Next up is gay marriage and after that prayer in school.

• llkernj

I really haven’t heard him speak much, and let me tell you I was quite surprised at just how stupid he is.

• Anonymous

How many ant-abortionist individuals would be willing to adopt and support both emotionally and financially any child born into an environment where they were unwanted.Let an anti-abortion law become the law of the land,and we shall see how many of these anti-abortion folks are truly a compassionate breed.

• Anonymous

I never hear about “compassionate conservatism” anymore. Where did it go? Did Palin target that as well?

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/u/MMZ2CADZBLBKHLYZW7N7DDWU2E Elprimo

Just another religious fanatic who doesn’t believe in evolution and wants to force his ignorant beliefs on others.

They should ask these Christian scumbags is they actually believe Noah built a wooden boat (before we had nails!)that held two of every animal on earth. Like to see how he managed those T-rexs. After all, the Wholly Babble was written by God and is infallible, no?

The fact is that the GOP is about making money – that’s why they are toadies to the large corporations. They get votes by catering to racists, religious bigots and other low brows who are easily fooled. But they represent the wealthy… it’s the Christians who are the real problem.

These hypocrits don’t care about ‘unborn babies’ and saving their lives. If they did, why don’t they adopt more orphans? Or fund breakfast programs for poor children…. instead they cut them (probably think they are hurting lazy welfare Black folks).

• http://pulse.yahoo.com/_QMPOO3PZFN7XV2XZKCGSXXR3WM Joe Somebody

what do you expect? all those unwanted children are going to grow up into screwed up people.. but hey, at least they’ll be alive! .. and raped in prison.. but shhhh.. let’s forget that part. Don’t want to have to flip-flop on the right v wrong spin!

How do you gauge right and wrong in a medical procedure? And why is your wrong more important than my right? I mean, it’s not YOUR body, or financial future, or emotional state.. it’s MINE, so I think that makes it my right to decide if the procedure is right for me..

Unless you mean I’m to be your slave and my body subjected to your whims.

If your sole basis of morality is your book of myths that tell of your invisible sky fairy friend, then your morality has no basis in LAW, nor should any law be made rooted in your superstition. .. so much for the information age, these idiots are still goat-fucking desert walkers.

Google+