LOS ANGELES – Troubled actor Charlie Sheen was sacked Monday from hit TV series “Two and a Half Men” after his criticism of its producers and over a week of colorful media appearances, Warner Brothers said.
“After careful consideration, Warner Bros. Television has terminated Charlie Sheen’s services on ‘Two and a Half Men’ effective immediately,” the studio said in a terse statement.
The TV show — in which Sheen plays a hedonistic bachelor — had already been canceled for the rest of the season following Sheen’s repeated attack on its producer, Chuck Lorre, two weeks ago.
Sheen notably referred to Lorre by the Hebrew translation of his name, Chaim Levine, drawing accusations of anti-Semitism. The actor then gave a series of rambling TV interviews, prompting his spokesman to quit.
The 45-year-old also started his own Twitter feed which immediately became an Internet sensation, and over the weekend launched a live-streamed online talk show, dubbed “Sheen’s Korner.”
“Two and a Half Men,” about hedonistic jingle writer Charlie Harper, has been a hit since it was launched in 2003 and has been nominated for numerous awards, including nods for Sheen at the Emmys and Golden Globes.
In November, the star filed for divorce from his wife of two years, days after being taken to the hospital following a reported drunken incident at a luxury New York hotel involving a porn star.
In addition to his reported substance abuse, Sheen had several run-ins with the law in the 1990s in cases related to drugs, domestic violence and prostitution.