Quantcast

DoJ still protecting Bush eavesdroppers, says ACLU

By David Ferguson
Saturday, March 19, 2011 18:48 EDT
google plus icon
800px-JCYoo
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

The American Civil Liberties Union has released a statement that memos it requested by way of the Freedom of Information Act have been released, but in “heavily redacted” form.

The two memos, one by former head of the Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel Jack Goldsmith, and another by then deputy assistant Attorney General John Yoo contain details about National Security Agency’s warrantless wiretapping programs. They were released to the public on Friday but the ACLU states that they are “most notable for what they don’t reveal”.

Attorney for the ACLU National Security Project Alexander Abdo says, “Despite a much-trumpeted commitment to transparency and accountability, the Obama administration has continued to shield the surveillance practices of the past from meaningful scrutiny. Nearly a decade after President Bush authorized a set of intelligence activities that almost led to the resignation of the attorney general, the FBI director and other Justice Department officials, the American public still knows virtually nothing about what it was that President Bush authorized.”

David Ferguson
David Ferguson
David Ferguson is an editor at Raw Story. He was previously writer and radio producer in Athens, Georgia, hosting two shows for Georgia Public Broadcasting and blogging at Firedoglake.com and elsewhere. He is currently working on a book.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+