Quantcast

Actress Sienna Miller taking legal action against Murdoch paper

By Agence France-Presse
Saturday, April 9, 2011 21:19 EDT
google plus icon
siennamillerafp-300x199
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

LONDON (AFP) – A lawyer for Sienna Miller said Saturday the actress has not dropped legal action over phone-hacking claims against Britain’s News of the World, despite the tabloid’s offer of compensation.

Rupert Murdoch’s News International, which publishes the paper, on Friday offered an “unreserved apology” for phone-hacking, admitted liability in some cases brought against the newspaper and said it would set up a compensation fund.

Miller was believed to be one of those offered a settlement from the fund, reportedly worth around £20 million.

But her lawyer Mark Thomson said the star had been the victim of “outrageous violations of her privacy” and was considering her next steps against the weekly tabloid.

“Sienna’s claims are based on outrageous violations of her privacy; her voice mails were persistently hacked and the information obtained was used to publish numerous intrusive articles over a period of a year,” he said in a statement.

“She is awaiting information and disclosure from the News of the World which has been ordered by the court and will consider her next steps once this is provided.

“Her primary concern is to discover the whole truth and for all those responsible to be held to account.”

On Tuesday, Miller obtained a ruling from London’s High Court ordering Vodafone to disclose data relating to other mobile phone users so she can identify who tried to access her voicemails.

News International’s apology came three days after police arrested the News of the World’s chief reporter, Neville Thurlbeck, and a former news editor, Ian Edmondson, on suspicion of having unlawfully intercepted phone voicemail messages.

An initial police investigation in 2007 into the hacking led to the jailing of the paper’s royal correspondent Clive Goodman and a private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.

The paper insisted at the time that the pair were acting alone. But police reopened their investigation earlier this year following a steady stream of fresh allegations.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+