Quantcast

Strauss-Kahn court hearing delayed by 4 weeks

By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, July 26, 2011 18:27 EDT
google plus icon
strausskahn-afp0726
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

NEW YORK — A possibly crucial court hearing due next Monday in the sex crime case against former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn has been delayed by three weeks, lawyers said Tuesday.

Lawyers for the fallen French politician and former head of the International Monetary Fund called on prosecutors to drop charges by the time of the hearing, which is now set for August 23.

A spokesman for the New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan confirmed the changed schedule.

“We have consented to a postponement of the status hearing before Judge Obus from August 1 to August 23,” Strauss-Kahn’s attorneys William Taylor and Benjamin Brafman said.

“We understand the district attorney is continuing to investigate. We hope that by August 23 he will have reached the decision to dismiss.”

No reason was given for the delay, which is the second for a hearing originally meant to take place July 18.

However, the once seemingly strong case against Strauss-Kahn, who is accused of forcing a New York hotel chambermaid into oral sex, has begun to unravel since the start of this month.

Speculation is growing that prosecutors may drop charges or take other measures to avoid a trial, given worries they have expressed publicly over the credibility of the maid’s credibility.

The delayed court hearing had been expected to handle critical issues, including the setting of a trial date.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+