Quantcast

One dead in Toronto parade shooting

By Agence France-Presse
Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:20 EDT
google plus icon
policevan-afp0731
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

MONTREAL — A 30-year-old man was killed and two people were wounded during a shootout with police at Toronto’s Caribbean Carnival parade, medical officials said on Sunday.

Toronto police told Radio-Canada and CBC television that they were called late Saturday to end a dispute between three men along the parade route, and that shots were fired when they arrived on the scene.

A 22-year-old woman was wounded by several gunshots and had to undergo surgery. Another shot grazed an 18-year-old man’s eyebrow.

No further details were provided by police, which launched an investigation. But the participation of Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit suggested police took part in the shooting.

About a million people gather each summer in Canada’s biggest city to admire participants’ extravagant costumes in the annual Scotiabank Caribbean Carnival (previously known as Caribana), considered the biggest such event in North America.

Several previous editions of the parade have seen gunshots fired and knife attacks, especially in the 1990s.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+