Quantcast

Rabbit dies saving owners from house fire in Alaska

By Reuters
Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:50 EDT
google plus icon
A_Wild_Rabbit_at_Lossiemouth_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1441920
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) – A pet rabbit is being credited for saving its owners from a house fire in southeastern Alaska before it died of smoke inhalation, fire officials said on Friday.

The rabbit woke up the homeowner early on Tuesday morning by scratching on her chest, the Ketchikan Fire Department said in a statement.

The homeowner realized that the house was full of smoke, woke up her daughter and fled the house.

The fire was brought under control fairly quickly, with four engines, a ladder truck and 33 firefighters responding.

Damage to the house from flames, smoke and water was considered moderate.

While there were no injuries to the mother or daughter, the rabbit was not so lucky. The animal succumbed to smoke inhalation and did not survive, the fire department said.

(Reporting by Yereth Rosen. Editing by Dan Whitcomb)

Mochila insert follows.

Reuters
Reuters
Reuters.com brings you the latest news from around the world, covering breaking news in business, politics, technology, and more.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+