Quantcast

Lawsuit: New Hampshire school allowed racial harassment

By David Edwards
Wednesday, October 12, 2011 10:23 EDT
google plus icon
schooldesks-flickruseralamosbasement
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

A $1 million lawsuit is alleging that officials at Raymond High School in New Hampshire did almost nothing to stop the racial harassment of a 16-year-old student.

The suit claims that officials did little to protect the boy from a daily onslaught of racial slurs, according to WMUR.

The mother said in addition to being physically threatened, students told her son that they would burn a cross in his front yard and at one point, threw a KKK book at him and asked if he “wanted to learn something.”

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights found that the student was subjected to a “racially hostile environment” last year.

“We do agree that there was racial harassment, student-to-student racial harassment in our high school last year,” Superintendent Jean Richards said.

“When we discovered that it was happening, we took steps and continue to take steps, because we want all of our students to feel safe in our schools,” she added. “We did follow the law. We did follow our policy.”

But the federal government contends that the school violated the law by allowing the harassment to continue.

Watch this video from WMUR, broadcast Oct. 11, 2011.


Photo: Flickr user alamosbasement.

David Edwards
David Edwards
David Edwards has served as an editor at Raw Story since 2006. His work can also be found at Crooks & Liars, and he's also been published at The BRAD BLOG. He came to Raw Story after working as a network manager for the state of North Carolina and as as engineer developing enterprise resource planning software. Follow him on Twitter at @DavidEdwards.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+