A 35-year-old man has died after being shot at “Occupy Burlington,” authorities said Thursday.
WPTZ reported that the gunshot wound may have been self inflicted.
Patty Bosley, a Burlington-based activist, suggested that the man was homeless and had previously tried to commit suicide.
“We do not believe the public is at risk,” Burlington Deputy Police Chief Andi Higbee told reporters, adding that the incident had given him pause about the future of the Occupy movement in City Hall Park.
“When you have a discharge of a firearm in a place like this there’s good cause to be gravely concerned,” he said.
The encampment has been taped off, and police are obtaining a search warrant to enter the tent where the man was found.
A weapon has been recovered from the scene.
Watch this video from WPTZ and The Burlington Free Press, broadcast Nov. 10, 2011.
David Edwards has served as an editor at Raw Story since 2006. His work can also be found at Crooks & Liars, and he's also been published at The BRAD BLOG. He came to Raw Story after working as a network manager for the state of North Carolina and as as engineer developing enterprise resource planning software. Follow him on Twitter at @DavidEdwards.
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers' attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.
Founded in 2004, Raw Story reaches 5 million unique readers per month and serves more than 19 million pageviews.