Quantcast

France to order 30,000 women to remove breast implants

By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, December 20, 2011 8:26 EDT
google plus icon
breastimplant.afp
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

French medical authorities will this week tell 30,000 women who received defective breast implants to have them removed after several suspicious cases of cancer, the Liberation newspaper reported on Tuesday.

Quoting senior medical officials, the daily said that before the end of the week authorities will ask all women who received implants supplied by the Poly Implant Prothèse (PIP) company to have them removed.

PIP was shut down and its product banned last year after it was revealed to have been using non-authorised silicone gel that caused abnormally high rupture rates of its implants.

Health officials said last week that eight cases of cancer, mainly breast cancer, had been reported in women who had received the PIP implants.

“It is urgent for all women who have PIP implants to return to see their surgeons,” French government spokeswoman Valerie Pecresse told Liberation.

Police have received 2,000 complaints from women who received the implants and have opened a criminal investigation into the firm.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+