Quantcast

Fire officials: Deadly Stamford house fire started by Yule log

By Megan Carpentier
Tuesday, December 27, 2011 10:24 EDT
google plus icon
stamford_house_fire
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Officials now say that the Christmas morning fire that killed New York ad executive Madonna Badger’s three daughters and elderly parents in Stamford, Connecticut were the result of still-burning embers from their Yule log.

The fire, which damaged the house so extensively that the city razed the building in the wake of the investigation, appears to have been touched off by the embers of the log that Badger and friend Michael Borchina had burning as they wrapped Christmas presents until 3 am. Badger and Borchina reportedly collected the embers in a fire bucket and set them outside, but they were somehow blown back into the house and touched off the fire.

Badger’s father, Lomer Johnson — who, until Christmas Eve, had been playing Santa Claus at Saks Fifth Avenue in Manhattan — reportedly attempted to rescue one of his granddaughters from the blaze, but both were apparently overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning before they could escape the fully-engulfed house.

Watch the video, which first aired on ABC News on December 27, 2011, below:

Megan Carpentier
Megan Carpentier is the executive editor of Raw Story. She previously served as an associate editor at Talking Points Memo; the editor of news and politics at Air America; an editor at Jezebel.com; and an associate editor at Wonkette. Her published works include pieces for the Washington Post, the Washington Independent, Ms Magazine, RH Reality Check, the Women's Media Center, On the Issues, the New York Press, Bitch and Women's eNews.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+