Quantcast

Scott Walker allows recall challenge to move ahead in Wisconsin

By Andrew Jones
Monday, February 27, 2012 16:37 EDT
google plus icon
Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker. Image via AFP.
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R) declined to challenge any signatures ahead of the Monday afternoon deadline to prevent a recall election against him, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Walker’s decision leaves only state election officials to determine whether the recall’s signatures are valid by March 19. Walker previously sought for a later deadline to challenge the petitions, but was denied.

“We are not filing any specific challenges to any specific signatures today,” Walker campaign spokeswoman Ciara Matthews told The Sentinel. “We simply ran out of time.”

Organizers gathered over one million signatures in just 60 days, almost doubling the number of signatures required for a recall election (540,000).

Randy Radtke, the President of Marathon County Labor Council in Wausau, Wisconsin, thought Walker was possibly realizing the strength of the recall drive.

“Maybe it’s starting to sink in for him,” Radtke told The Raw Story. “The recall group we had was very organized and I think maybe Walker is seeing that. I think he will try to get that Koch money and spend it on ads to brainwash people. But I don’t think it will work this time.”

Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones
Andrew Jones is a staff writer/reporter for Raw Story. Besides covering politics, he is also a freelance sports journalist, as well as a slam poetry and music artist. You can follow him on Twitter @sluggahjells.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+