Quantcast

Cheney says Canada ‘too dangerous’ for visit

By David Ferguson
Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:58 EDT
google plus icon
Former Vice President Dick Cheney (AFP).
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Former Vice President Dick Cheney has foregone a trip to Canada on the grounds that it’s “too dangerous,” according to a report in Canada’s National Post.

Cheney was set to appear at an event in Toronto on April 24, but canceled on grounds that the risk of trouble from protesters was too great.

Cheney’s last Canadian appearance in September of 2011 erupted in violence as protesters swarmed the entrance of the private Vancouver club where the former Bush administration official and Iraq War architect was speaking. The protesters rained down verbal abuse on attendees and, in once instance, choked a security guard.

Vice President Cheney was trapped inside the venue for more than seven hours as police in riot gear attempted to disperse the crowd and quell to the resulting melee.

Ryan Riggins, a spokesperson for the promotions company who booked Cheney for the April 24 appearance said, “He felt that in Canada the risk of violent protest was simply too high.”

(hat-tip to Tegan Goddard’s Political Wire)

David Ferguson
David Ferguson
David Ferguson is an editor at Raw Story. He was previously writer and radio producer in Athens, Georgia, hosting two shows for Georgia Public Broadcasting and blogging at Firedoglake.com and elsewhere. He is currently working on a book.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+