Quantcast

U.S. offers reward for killer of Chinese students

By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 18:15 EDT
google plus icon
Memorial flowers at home via AFP
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

LOS ANGELES — US authorities have offered $200,000 in reward money to find whoever killed two Chinese graduate students in Los Angeles last week, after more funds were pledged Tuesday.

The male and female students from the University of Southern California (USC) were shot in the early hours of last Wednesday, as they sat in a car in an area southwest of downtown Los Angeles.

The USC and the LA Police Department (LAPD) offered $125,000 last week, to which the City of Los Angeles added $75,000 on Tuesday, said city deputy Bernard Parks, a former police chief whose district includes the area involved.

The parents of the electrical engineering students — named as Ming Qu and Ying Wu, both 23 — arrived in Los Angeles from China over the weekend.

“The last thing a parent thinks about when they send their kid to college is that they’re going to have to bury them before they reach their graduation,” said Parks.

Fellow city deputy Jan Perry added: “Someone knows who did this.

“I hope that this reward will… cause someone to care enough about two people who were just studying to have a better life and were harming no one, two young people whose entire lives were ahead of them and bring some justice.”

The motive for the shootings was unclear, but police believe it may have been a bungled carjacking.

Los Angeles has a large Chinese and Chinese-American population, including many students. Certain areas of the city are known for frequent gun violence.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+