The Turkish government said Wednesday that its military shelled targets within Syria after a mortar killed five Turkish citizens, including a woman and three children.
Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said in a prepared statement that Turkey is prepared to strike Syria again if more of its citizens are killed, intentionally or not.
“These provocations against the safety of Turkey will not remain unanswered,” he reportedly said. “Our armed forces in the border region responded immediately to this abominable attack in line with their rules of engagement; targets were struck through artillery fire against places in Syria identified by radar.”
The retaliation comes after pro-government forces in Syria shelled a town along the border last week.
Tensions have been high between the two nations since June, when Syria shot down a Turkish military plane. Both governments have since amassed forces, including tanks, missiles and anti-aircraft weaponry, along their shared border to respond in the event of further hostilities.
The Turkish government formally adopted rules of engagement with Syria after the plane was shot down, and the prime minister’s office said Wednesday bombings were in line with those rules.
This video is from Al Jazeera English, published Wednesday, October 3, 2012.
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers' attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.
Founded in 2004, Raw Story reaches 5 million unique readers per month and serves more than 19 million pageviews.