Quantcast

Ole Miss students protest Obama’s re-election

By Arturo Garcia
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 13:03 EDT
google plus icon
Ole Miss protest 110612

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Hundreds of students at the University of Mississippi — aka Ole Miss — staged an impromptu demonstration against President Barack Obama’s re-election late Tuesday night, with conflicting reports on the number of people involved.

The Jackson Clarion-Ledger reported that about 200 people gathered in a parking lot outside a freshman dormitory, but witnesses told WMC-TV they estimated the number of protesters was around 300 or 400, with initial Twitter posts calling the gathering a “riot.”

Police broke up the disturbance around midnight on Tuesday, as captured on an amateur video posted on YouTube.

“People are actually running from the cops,” the unidentified woman filming the scene said. “The cops showed up and there was a big old group of people, and they are dispersing out here in front of Kincannon [dormitory]. I’d say there’s about a good 150, two [hundred] people out here. It’s majority white people, so that’s all I got to say about that.”

The student newspaper, The Daily Mississippian, reported that it started as an unspecified argument. Some witnesses reported hearing racial slurs during the ensuing demonstration.

Watch amateur footage of the disturbance, posted early Wednesday morning on YouTube, below.

[Image via @CaMeshaLaShay on Twitter]

Arturo Garcia
Arturo Garcia
Arturo R. García is the managing editor at Racialicious.com. He is based in San Diego, California and has written for both print and broadcast media, including contributions to GlobalComment.com, The Root and Comment Is Free. Follow him on Twitter at @ABoyNamedArt

By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.

Google+