Quantcast

Sixth New Delhi gang rape suspect to be tried as juvenile

By Agence France-Presse
Monday, January 28, 2013 9:48 EDT
google plus icon
An Indian police officer looks at a string of anti-rape posters hung over a police barricade at Janatar Mantar in New Delhi on January 28, 2013. (AFP)
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

A court on Monday ruled that the sixth suspect in last month’s deadly gang-rape of a student on a bus in New Delhi would be tried as a juvenile, after rejecting calls for tests to determine his age.

Ishkaran Bhandari, a lawyer for the teenager who cannot be named for legal reasons, said the Delhi-based Juvenile Justice Board accepted the school records of the suspect, which states that he was born on June 4, 1995.

“The court has gone as per the school record,” Bhandari told reporters outside the court in New Delhi.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+