A quick-thinking Swedish golfer has told how she used a tee to extract venom from her leg after being bitten by a dangerous spider during a qualifying tournament in Australia.
The Swedish Golf Federation reported on their website how 24-year-old Daniela Holmqvist saw a redback spider on her lower leg and then felt a sharp pain above her left ankle.
Seeing her leg swell up, Holmqvist did not seek medical attention but instead grabbed a golf tee from her bag, pierced her skin and squeezed out as much venom as possible.
“A clear fluid came out,” she said. “It wasn’t the prettiest thing I’ve ever done but I had to get as much of it out of me as possible.”
The Swedish federation added that, after the incident took place at the fourth hole, an unfazed Holmqvist went on to finish her round with medics monitoring her progress.
She finished the qualifying event for the ISPS Handa Australian Open in Canberra with a round of 74, just two shots shy of qualification.
The redback — related to the black widow spider and so-called because of its red stripe on the back of its black abdomen — is Australia’s most dangerous spider and its venom is toxic to humans.
According to the University of Melbourne, 250 people are treated for bites each year but no deaths have been reported since the discovery of an antidote in 1955.