It was a long, hard slog for viewers and participants in the filibuster of the vote to confirm new CIA chief John Brennan, most notably for Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY), who, we are sad to say, found time to invoke Hitler and the Nazis, but never in the 13 hours of testimony, resorted to reading aloud from the latest edition of the Ron Paul Family Cookbook.
Here are a few highlights of the filibuster, which, although clearly futile in that Brennan’s appointment is all but inevitable, we hope will be entertaining enough to help you weather the disappointment of not having Rep. Ron Paul’s family recipes for Liberty Cabbage, Free Enterp-Rice Pilaf and Lemon Abolish the Fed Icebox Pie.
1. When Rand Paul went full metal Godwin and invoked Hitler and hyperinflation.
2. When Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) read pro-Rand Paul tweets aloud.
3. When Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) quoted Wiz Khalifia, “The Godfather,” and Jay-Z.
4. When Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) went all Zen Riddle on us about “peanut butter without the peanut butter.”
5. When Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS) talked about talked about killing people in the streets of Wichita, because he’s hard like that.
Finally, after 13 epic hours, it ended, but not before Paul managed to evoke the late Sen. Strom Thurmond (R-SC)’s record 24-hour filibuster testimony and make a lame-ish joke about having to pee.
[Ed note: This post has been edited for hilarity since first publication]