Medical officials in New York City said they discovered two fragments that could be human remains while beginning a new round of sifting through the debris caused by the Sept.11 attack on the World Trade Center.
According to the Associated Press, another 60 truckloads of debris is scheduled to be examined in Staten Island as part of a 10-week operation, the city’s first attempt to identify remains since 2010. This time, officials said, they will have access to wreckage from parts of the World Trade Center that had been unreachable to salvage teams.
WNBC-TV reported that the operation will involve 590 cubic yards of debris taken from West Street, Liberty Street and the financial center since the end of the previous one in 2010.
Of the 2,750 people who died in the attack, 1,634 have been identified. Anoher 9,000 human remains that are too degraded to be matched to victims through DNA identification are stored in an undisclosed location for eventual transfer to an underground chamber inside the the National September 11 Memorial & Museum.
[Image via Agence France-Presse]
Arturo R. García is the managing editor at Racialicious.com. He is based in San Diego, California and has written for both print and broadcast media, including contributions to GlobalComment.com, The Root and Comment Is Free. Follow him on Twitter at @ABoyNamedArt
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers' attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.
Founded in 2004, Raw Story reaches 5 million unique readers per month and serves more than 19 million pageviews.