Quantcast

Army veteran accidentally shoots himself dead inside fraternity house

By Arturo Garcia
Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:55 EDT
google plus icon
["Business Man And Gun" on Shutterstock]

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

A U.S. Army veteran accidentally shot and killed himself while allegedly showing a gun to a friend at his college fraternity’s house early Sunday morning.

The Murray Ledger & Times reported on Tuesday that 23-year-old Clayton Law was inside the Alpha Sigma Phi house at Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky, showing the firearm when he shot himself in the head. He was declared dead early Sunday morning.

A spokesperson for the Murray Police Department said authorities did not suspect foul play was involved in Law’s death. The university’s associate vice president for student affairs, Mike Young, said Law was a member of the fraternity, but did not live inside the group’s on-campus home.

Young said Law served three tours of duty as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan before enrolling at Murray State in 2012.

“I personally spoke with him last week about his class schedule for fall,” Young told the student newspaper, The Murray News. “That doesn’t sound like anyone who is going to check out.”

The Associated Press reported that the fraternity will hold a memorial for Law on Wednesday.

“He joined the fraternity in the fall and just was excited that he had all these guys that reminded him of when he was in the service,” Young said. “That was his family away from home, and he was looking for that here.”

[Image via Shutterstock]

Arturo Garcia
Arturo Garcia
Arturo R. García is the managing editor at Racialicious.com. He is based in San Diego, California and has written for both print and broadcast media, including contributions to GlobalComment.com, The Root and Comment Is Free. Follow him on Twitter at @ABoyNamedArt

By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.

Google+