Quantcast

Toronto police net $30 million in drugs at complex linked to Mayor Ford’s ‘crack video’

By Kay Steiger
Friday, June 14, 2013 10:05 EDT
google plus icon
Rob Ford at his home
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Toronto police raided a Dixon Avenue appartement allegedly linked to Mayor Rob Ford’s rumored crack problem and found more than $30 million in drugs and 40 firearms on Thursday morning, according to the Toronto Star.

In a video published to the Star‘s website, reporters tracked Ford to his home asked him about the raid. The mayor simply said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” then got in his car and drove away.

“I have nothing to hide,” the Star reported that Ford told reporters at city hall later that day. “They can investigate and you can do whatever you want.”

Police Chief Bill Blair refused to say whether Ford was linked to the raid in a press conference. “All of the evidence has been secured and it will come out in court, where it belongs,” Blair told reporters.

As reporters again confronted Ford outside his office, Ford said, “You guys can’t get it through your thick skulls. I’ve already answered all these questions. I have nothing to do with this.”

City councilman Josh Matlow told the Star, “There is still a dark cloud hanging over city hall and at the heart of it is the mayor … When the mayor suggests that he has answered all the questions posed to him, we know that to be factually untrue. We all know there have been honest questions put to him and he has not replied with honest answers yet.”

The Star reported last month that they had seen a cell phone video that depicted Ford smoking what appeared to be a crack pipe. The Star reported that Ford allegedly says in the video, ““I’m f—ing right-wing. Everyone expects me to be right-wing. I’m just supposed to be this great …”

Ford has denied the allegations to the press, but reports indicate that he acknowledged the video’s existence to his staff. Ford also fired his chief of staff Mark Towhey who reportedly urged the mayor to seek help for his addition.

The video is believed to be made by 21-year-old Anthony Smith, who was shot to death in March.

[Screenshot of Rob Ford at his home via the Toronto Star]

Kay Steiger
Kay Steiger
Kay Steiger is the managing editor of Raw Story. Her contributions have appeared in The American Prospect, The Atlantic, Campus Progress, The Guardian, In These Times, Jezebel, Religion Dispatches, RH Reality Check, and others. You can follow her on Twitter @kaysteiger.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+