Quantcast

Jim Carrey apologizes to assault weapon owners

By Agence France-Presse
Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:22 EDT
google plus icon
jim carrey screenshot
 
  • Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Actor Jim Carrey, who spoke out against gun violence after a series of deadly shootings in the United States in 2012, apologized to assault weapon rights defenders.

Carrey had tweeted a series of insults at gun owners and gun rights supporters, mainly after a gun massacre at a Newtown Connecticut school that killed 26 people including 20 children last December.

“Any1 who would run out to buy an assault rifle after the Newtown massacre has very little left in their body or soul worth protecting,” Carrey tweeted in February.

And in March, he tweeted: “154 BULLETS FIRED AT SANDY HOOK! 2 handguns n a bushmaster rifle on Lanza. 1600 rnds of amo at his house. WE MUST STOP THIS!!”

Despite an outpouring of anguish across America over the school shooting, the US Congress voted against passing new gun control measures earlier this year. And on Monday, Carrey took a different tack on the issue.

“Asslt rifle fans,I do not agree wth u,nor do I fear u but I do love u and I’m sorry tht in my outrage I called you names.That was wrong,” the Canadian-born US actor said in a Twitter posting on Monday.

Minutes later, Carrey added “Btw I don’t need a crisis mgr, just a conscience. Calling ppl names is inappropriate but my position on assault weapons hasn’t changed.”

Last month, the actor, 51, said he would not take part in promoting his new film “Kick-Ass 2″ saying that after the Newtown shooting, in hindsight, it appeared too violent to him.

Agence France-Presse
Agence France-Presse
AFP journalists cover wars, conflicts, politics, science, health, the environment, technology, fashion, entertainment, the offbeat, sports and a whole lot more in text, photographs, video, graphics and online.
 
 
 
 
By commenting, you agree to our terms of service
and to abide by our commenting policy.
 
Google+